cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

End of support for OS X 10.4 and 10.5

Matthew S.
New member | Level 1

Why pull support and remove functionality? Why not just drop support -- just stop updating the app but still allow basic functionality? There are still a lot of legacy machines that are still in use and CANNOT upgrade to 10.6, as they are PowerPC based. Yes, old systems still work. Why stop the app from working totally instead of just deprecating support for those systems?

281 Replies 281

First L.
New member | Level 1

The question is, is anyone at the top listening?

Oliver W.
New member | Level 1

An 8 yr old machine is more than adequate as a file or backup server along with the primary newer models, the very roles where dropbox is part of the setup. The whole point of the thing is to have stuff available throughout your whole system. Just because you get bought a new toy every year doesn't meant others throw their older stuff out rather than use it according to it's capabilities. What about people with clients who are still using older setups or are prevented from updating by fussy software?

Michal M.
New member | Level 1

I was wondering that myself. I've also left a complaint/plea on their Facebook page but I'm really not sure how we can best get their attention. Ideas?

Stephen B.3
New member | Level 1

Please try to find an alternative approach rather than cutting support and functionality off altogether. My lab and collaborators rely on dropbox, and many of use older PPC-based machines (funding these days is tight, and if you can afford to keep a perfectly fine machine that is older, you do) and can't upgrade. Our group are already Pro users, and considering a decision to upgrade to Business. Loss of support for these legacy machines may lead us to abandon dropbox for a more durable solution.

Richard P.
Super User alumni

An 8 year old machine might be useful for a lot of things, but it doesn't mean everyone else has to support you in your endeavour to use it.

My current workstation is a 2010 MacBook Pro, running the latest Windows 8.1 - but I'm not going to be upset in the slightest when either Apple or Microsoft drop support for it, its done a good job.

I also have a 2006 Mac Pro that runs Windows Server. Completely unsupported by Apple due to its age, but I dont expect them or anyone else to have to support me.

You have had 8 years to plan your upgrade, so you only have yourself to blame for finding yourself in this situation. It was always going to be inevitable, something was going to break or become unsupported, or did you just think the world would blissfully keep on trundling along at your pace?

Supporting older platforms, especially PowerPC, is extra work - different build platform, different tools, old library versions that also have to be maintained. As platforms age they get more and more costly to support - yours just reached the point where its no longer worth it.

Joseph R.1
New member | Level 1

As with many others who have already posted before me, my workflow involves several older PPC Macs that simply can't be upgraded beyond Mac OS X 10.5.8, Leopard. I even have machines that can't be upgraded beyond Mac OS X 10.4.11, Tiger, that see occasional use. Dropbox has been a tremendous time-saver for me, and to be completely logged out of Dropbox automatically with no hope of regaining the ability to use the service for file syncing between machines is to be cut off at the knees. I agree with others on this subject; if there is a way to continue to support syncing on these systems even if it means no further application updates, I'm all for that. I already run operating systems that are no longer supported by Apple and have adjusted my workflow around that fact, so adjusting my workflow around having a version of Dropbox installed that is no longer support wouldn't be a problem as long as it is still allowed to sync my files across my LAN and the Internet. Regardless of the decision made, I think I speak for everyone here when I say that we'd love to hear a response to our pleas explaining whatever decision is made in full detail.

C B P.
New member | Level 1

I too run OS X 10.4.11 and OS X 10.5.8 on multiple PowerPC G5s at work and at home, and like other posters cannot upgrade the OS but need to continue using OS X 10.4.11 and OS X 10.5.8 PPC only software, while still synching with machines running OS X 10.6 and later, and also Windows PCs.

What is the reason for not simply dropping support for the latest PPC Dropbox app version but still enabling the apps to link with the Dropbox servers? Both OS X 10.4.11 and OS X 10.5.8 on G5, G4 and G3 PowerPs can be patched to the latest versions of bash, ntpd and fixed as regards the SSL v3.0 bug by the appropriate browser use and also untrusting Diginotar hacked certs etc., maintaining their security. So what is the actual basis for the decision to pull both support and app functionality for OS X 10.4.11 and OS X 10.5.8?

Nikolas M.
New member | Level 1

I also use Dropbox on multiple machines running 10.4 and 10.5, and in fact, this fantastic legacy support is the primary reason I have stayed with Dropbox over iCloud or Google Drive.

On a personal level, I also still like to do a lot of my writing on my old PowerBook because the keyboard is just so comfortable to type on versus the flat chiclet keys on modern Mac laptops. Dropbox makes it easy to always keep that in sync with my newer hardware.

This is extremely disappointing.

daniel g.1
New member | Level 1

PLEASEE, please... Just leave basic functionality at least... PLEASE... don't make all my PPC Macs alone...

...in the dark...

daniel g.1
New member | Level 1
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve B.8 New member | Level 1
    Cinefoto.org R. New member | Level 1
    Erik Y. New member | Level 1
    Vanni R. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?