cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High CPU when computer idle, no syncing

High CPU usage even when not syncing or indexing

fort
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

For the past couple of days, Dropbox has been consistently using around 30% of my CPU, when not syncing or indexing anything (i.e., the menu bar drop down says `Up to date`). Any idea why this might be happening, and what I can do to get Dropbox to idle properly?

I'm on a MacBook Air, running macOS 10.13.6 and Dropbox 58.4.92.

Thanks.

64 Replies 64

Allen D.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I noticed that DB was using excessive power and CPU constantly even though it claimed to be up to date, so I checked for linked files and found none.   

I remembered, though, that I use a DB folder for QB backup files, assuming those files are inert and I also now remembered that QB has a server that tracks all QB-related files and wondered if there was some sort of loop happening.  So I cut the backup directory out of DB and pasted it into Documents.

Almost immediately DB went back to almost no CPU usage and very low power consumption -- and remained that way.

As a longtime subscriber, I am with the users who remember when DB was just simple and reliable cloud storage, and just worked. 

When my subscription runs out, I'll likely move to a simpler and less 'helpful' and ambitious cloud storage solution, something like DB classic if it existed.

jacanterbury
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

my oldish asus windows 10 laptop kept getting 100% cpu/disk acces and regularly crashing. uninstalling Dropbox seems to have fixed all the problems.

dalbarran
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I found another cause for high CPU use. I had some very large Outlook archives (pst files) that were stored in Dropbox and used by my Outlook application. Dropbox keep trying to sync them but couldn't as they were always in use by Outlook when it was open (which it tended to be quite often). I moved the Outlook archive copies locally and out of the Dropbox folders. Problem solved!

V P.1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This fixed it for me (after years of trawling, trying fixes and finding out that the "symlinks" are presumably, in english, shortcuts and that bug was fixed in 2019).

Windows

1. Quit Dropbox by clicking the Dropbox icon in the system tray, clicking your profile picture or initials in the notifications panel, and selecting Exit Dropbox from the menu.
  2. open the command prompt.
  3. Copy and paste the following lines into the command prompt, one at a time, and press Enter after each one.
    • Be sure to copy-and-paste these commands, rather than typing by hand, as entering the command incorrectly could cause some harm to your computer
    • Paste by right-clicking and then selecting Paste

icacls "%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

icacls "%APPDATA%\Dropbox" /grant "%USERNAME%":(F) /T

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/move-dropbox-folder - permissions

(I tried this first, got "file not found", not sure if it had any effect)

Windows

1. Press the Windows + R keys (at the same time) on your keyboard.
  2. Type cmd and press Enter on your keyboard to open the command prompt.
  3. Copy and paste the command line below and press Enter on your keyboard.

dir "%HOMEPATH%\Dropbox" /a:l /s

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/high-cpu-usage

Don't thank me, Dropbox, for doing what your (Edited per Dropbox Community Guidelines) "community moderator" failed to do,  (WHO MARKED THIS PAGE SOLVED???) but do feel free to pay me. 🙂

dropstubox
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you @V P.1 

Having tried everything else in this thread, your suggestion of changing permssions seemed to have done the trick and dropbox has gone from 30%+ of CPU to negligble.

Thank you

olaf_
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hello,

Thanks for your tenacious attempts to solve this problem.

Does this also work for W8.1

Regards,

Olaf

A M.13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thank you so much @V P.1  - dropbox had crippled my machine until this fix. 

One point though, these commands assume that dropbox is in your personal folder.  If you have moved dropbox, you have to run them on the location dropbox has been moved to. so if your dropbox folder is in e:\drobox, replace %HOMEPATH% with e: .  Someone please correct me if I am wrong

BTW does this have to be done every time dropbox or the computer is restarted?  It's just the effect seemed to disappear after some time and I had no choice but the force stop dropbox from Windows task manager.  Is it better to set dropbox not to startup on logon?  Or is it time to ditch dropbox?  The app is so bad that even right clicking the icon in the tasbar displays the horrible logo doing a dance.  What a waste of a once great app.

A M.13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have just noticed a dropboxupdate task that runs every hour on my machine.  Is it really necessary for Dropbox to check for updates every hour wastin precious resources?  It would also explain why after exiting dropbox, dropbox was still hogging my CPU. 

I have disabled the task and will see how I get on.  Would appreciate guidance from the collective.

megawhite
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Hi, in the last few weeks on Windows I notice Dropbox on a daily basis will pin a CPU core to 100% for around 5 minutes.  No new files added, no syncing taking place.  Also uses in excess of 400MB of RAM.  Why is this software so resource intensive?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @megawhite, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you clarify the app's  version as shown in your system tray and send us a screenshot of where you're spotting the RAM usage?

If you could also let us know the exact OS version of your computer, I'd appreciate it.

Keep us posted!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?