cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How do I kill this infernal dropbox badge/unloved cousin of Clippy?

How can I disable the Dropbox Badge?

jessicatee
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

WHY WHY WHY is there a unkillable drobox badge following me to every program!!!!!!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @jessicatee - sorry to hear about this. 

You can disable it by clicking on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, then the gear icon, then Preferences. You'll then have the option to choose when you'd like to see the Dropbox badge: "Always show", "If others present" and "Never show." 

To completely disable the Dropbox badge, select "Never Show" from the drop down menu. That will prevent Dropbox from showing the badge on your Office documents.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @jessicatee - sorry to hear about this. 

You can disable it by clicking on the Dropbox icon in your system tray, then the gear icon, then Preferences. You'll then have the option to choose when you'd like to see the Dropbox badge: "Always show", "If others present" and "Never show." 

To completely disable the Dropbox badge, select "Never Show" from the drop down menu. That will prevent Dropbox from showing the badge on your Office documents.

Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything else! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

MNGUYEN89
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is the most annoying feature. This should come turned off as a default and people can turn it on if they want OR put a button on the badge to click to NEVER show it again as opposed to just HIDE.  This feature makes me want to switch from Dropbox to something else. 

PeterPan123321
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

You didn't answer the question. Now that the badge is not shown anymore, is it actually turned off or does it still run in the background and read all the files I'm using? There are 3 background processes running on my machine that are conveniently called "dropbox" without any further information about what they are doing (on top of the updater and the sync processes). Is the badge one of those? Does your solution turn it off or does it just hide the popup?

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @PeterPan123321; welcome aboard and thanks for joining our discussion here.

I'll be glad to look into this for you so could you please forward me a screenshot of what you described so I can have a visual too?

Thanks a bunch! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

PeterPan123321
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

sure:

https://imgur.com/a/Crb0atA

this is after hiding the badge as you suggested

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the screenshot @PeterPan123321!

The first step here is to reboot the computer you're noticing this on so please restart the affected machine and let me know if you still see the same results. 

In case you do, I'll be glad to look into this for you so let me know if it would be OK to reach out to the email address that's connected to your profile here on our Community. 

While we're at it, what's the exact version of the desktop app and your computer's OS? For example, our latest, stable build is 93.4.273; are you also running this one? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

PeterPan123321
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Dear Walter,

the question is: Does the solution you provided in your original answer turn off the badge behavior or does it just hide the badge while Dropbox is still reading what program I use and what I do with it?

Thanks for offering me IT support but this is a general question that would be of interest for anyone using dropbox.

Best,

Peter

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Yes, correct. This would disable the Badge's behavior completely Peter.

The desktop app - while running and actively syncing- is monitoring the files you have within your Dropbox folder for changes (often made with/by 3rd party apps) and if you'd like to prevent that, you can quit the desktop application on your computer when working on your files or even completely uninstall it and access your files only from the web. 

I hope this sheds some additional light and I'm always around if you have any more questions. 

Stay safe! 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Wasylciw
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox Badge is the DUMBEST feature ever created.  Why on earth do I have to click "hide" whenever I open a Word or Excel programme before I edit it!?  Stupid feature that is a waste of time!

Need more support?