cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Integrations

Find solutions to issues with third-party integrations from the Dropbox Community. Share advice and help members with their integration questions.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I forward emails with attachments from Gmail to Dropbox?

How can I forward emails with attachments from Gmail to Dropbox?

DevenThakkar
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to Autoforward all emails with attachments to Dropbox from gmail. on setting up, gmail says verification email sent to myaddressxxx@addtodropbox.com . please put verification code, to activate rule for autoforward. how do i get the verification code which has been sent to myaddressxxx@addtodropbox.com. Please help, as without this this feature is of minimal use.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DevenThakkar wrote:

I want to Autoforward all emails with attachments to Dropbox from gmail. on setting up, gmail says verification email sent to myaddressxxx@addtodropbox.com. ... how do i get the verification code which has been sent to myaddressxxx@addtodropbox.com.

You can't. If setting up auto-forward requires verification of the email address, you won't be able to forward to the Dropbox-generated email. You can only receive attachments at the email address. The text/body of an email sent to that address is not retained.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DevenThakkar wrote:

I want to Autoforward all emails with attachments to Dropbox from gmail. on setting up, gmail says verification email sent to myaddressxxx@addtodropbox.com. ... how do i get the verification code which has been sent to myaddressxxx@addtodropbox.com.

You can't. If setting up auto-forward requires verification of the email address, you won't be able to forward to the Dropbox-generated email. You can only receive attachments at the email address. The text/body of an email sent to that address is not retained.

DevenThakkar
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

thanks for reply.

in fact I want attachments to be forwarded from Gmail, but the first step of verifycode is obstacle. if once I get verification code somehow, I can then auto forward all gmail attachments to addtodropbox folder.

but there is no way of getting the verification code of forwarded address. in case gmail can forward the verification code as attachment or body matter as  jpg file etc  then I would have been possible.... but no way as of now it seems

thanks again for reply

DevenThakkar
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I found docparser have solution for it, may be dropbox can apply same for itself...as below.... but there no way I can contact dropbox....

Every document parser in your account has a unique and secret email address to which you can forward emails with PDF attachments. With Gmail, it is easy to set up a filter which will automatically forward specific emails to your Document Parser - all you need to do is to create a filter in Gmail and define a forwarding address for this filter. As the target, you would then just add the unique and secret email address of your Document parser. You'll find this email address inside the settings of your Document Parser in 'Email Reception'.

You can read about how to set up a filter directly at  Google support website

After creating the forwarding filter in Gmail, a confirmation code needs to be entered. This confirmation code is inside an email which Google sends to your Docparser email address. Docparser is able to identify this kind of email and will automatically send the confirmation back to your Gmail account. Just check your Gmail account one minute after creating the filter and you should see an email from us with the confirmation code. Enter the confirmation code and your Gmail forwarding filter will become active. 

If you aren't able to receive the confirmation code email in your Docparser inbox, the issue may be that your Gmail is set to non-English. Due to a limitation our app requires the Gmail the filter is being set up on to be set on English, so temporarily changing your language in Gmail to English and re-sending the email should resolve the problem.

To recap, here is how to set up a Gmail forwarding filter with Docparser:

1. Verify that your Gmail account language is English
  2. Create a forwarding filter in your Gmail account
  3. Check your inbox and receive the confirmation code from Gmail (can take up to 3 minutes)
  4. Enter the confirmation code in Gmail forwarding filter settings

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DevenThakkar wrote:

I found docparser have solution for it, may be dropbox can apply same for itself...as below.... but there no way I can contact dropbox....

You can post feature requests in the Share an idea section of the forums.

DevenThakkar
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks

raphaelamann
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

For activation of the Gmail Auto-Forward/Filter-Function, a verification code is sent from Gmail directly to the AddToDropbox-Address (***@addtodropbox.com).

Currently there seems to be no possibility to get access to the content (and therefore the confirmation code) of it - as it contains no attachment it gets lost in universe.

Due to this, it is currently not possible to activate the redirection, which would be very useful for any kind of bills and so on.

Maybe a section underneath the 'AddToDropbox'-Settings could be added where the e.g. last 3 received emails can be accessed in full text view.

Thanks in advance, 

Raphael

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @raphaelamann, thanks for posting on our Community!

Can you please clarify if you're referring to the Dropbox Gmail Integration or if you had something else in mind, like the Email to Dropbox feature?

If you could also provide some additional information about what you'd like to accomplish or what you'd like to see implemented, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @raphaelamann, happy Friday!

Did you get a chance to take a look at my colleague Walter's response above?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

raphaelamann
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Hannah, hi Walter, 

thanks for your interest - please excuxe my late reply.

I am going to explain my thoughts from the ground up:

Imagine getting e-mail invoices from different sources on gmail. Wouldn't it be practical to directly redirect that to your personal AddToDropbox-address? For that purpose gmail offers what they call a "filter", which allows the specification of filter rules executed every time when new e-mails arrive.

In my case it would be a rule checking if the sender's email is equal to the one I always receive my monthly bill from and also if the email contains an attachment. 

2.PNG

If all of these conditions apply, it is possible to define what should be happening to this email, for example move to a specific folder, mark as important or also redirect it to a specific e-mail address, which is means of choice for my plan.

2c.PNG

When you want to specify a new redirection e-mail-adress, you are led to a separate settings page, where you can add this e-mail-address (in this case the @addtodropbox.com address.

2x.PNG

After clicking on "Next", the problem comes up: A verification e-mail is sent to this address required to confirm you are the owner of it.

2y.PNG

Currently there is no possibility to get access to this email send to the @addtodropbox.com-address - therefore it is not possible to automate the redirection of emails by the gmail filter functionality.

My recommendation: Add a functionality to the setting's "Email to Dropbox"-section allowing the user to view the i.e. last 3 e-mails received by the @addtodropbox.com-address in full-text.

5.PNG

By this improvement it would be possible to get to know the gmail confirmation code - I bet this is also the case by any other email providers.

See also https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/How-can-I-forward-emails-with-attachments-fro...

Thanks in advance, 

Raphael

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Neovi747 New member | Level 2
    DevenThakkar Helpful | Level 5
    twisting Explorer | Level 4
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    raphaelamann Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?