cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to Clear or Remove the Recent file list in mobile apps

How to Clear or Remove the Recent file list in mobile apps

Swe T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to clear all the Recent file list, there has no clear function please advise how to clear the list.
Thanks & regards

Swe Tin

310 Replies 310

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

This domain (dropboxforum.com) is registered to and sponsored by dropbox.

Yes, it is, for community, i.e. user to user, support. As stated before...

Tickets should really be for personal issues and personal support.
For generic issues it is better to address these in fora.

All issues should have a ticket if you want an official response from Dropbox. It is the only official method of contacting Dropbox for support related issues.

that they ignore complaints from the community, and that they don't care at all.

Simply not true. A Dropboxer has already replied to this thread multiple times. You've made your suggestions and they were passed on to the appropriate team(s). That does not guarantee action. When and if Dropbox decides to act on these suggestions is up to them.

Submitting a ticket after dropbox so strongly ignoring the user community is off course pointless.

Again, the community was not ignored. A response was given by a Dropboxer. If you feel opening a ticket is pointless then that is, of course, your opinion, but as stated before, it is the only official method of contacting Dropbox. The forums are a community primarily for user to user support.

Do you get paid for your role???? I honestly don't believe one would do this for charity.

As has been stated in the past, again, Super Users are users just like yourself. We are not part of the Dropbox team nor are we compensated for what we do here. Some of us are Pro users while others are Basic (i.e. free) users. We're no different from everyone else here other than the fact that we have an extensive knowledge of the product and have chosen to help others when we can. It's our way to give back to the community. Dropbox has simply recognized that by giving us the Super User tag. And questions pertaining to this can be directed to the Dropboxer Ed G., by opening a ticket, of course.

William S.14
Not applicable
Go to solution

Rich, I am sorry but the way you respond is like a lawyer representing dropbox, and not at al like a peer user.

Dropbox on android with all of it's obstacles is a showcase of poor design. And yes, unfortunately I will have to migrate me and my family away from dropbox as this company is going down the drain due to it's attitude..

Competition is from Amazon, Microsoft, Google, Apple, Box which are all more customer centric than dropbox. 

And please look up 'official'  in a dictionary first. Dropbox is not an authority nor public body. They are however world champion customer base ignoring.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox is not an authority

They are over their own policies and procedures. Also:

Now let's please keep this thread on topic. If you're wish to further discuss the Recents feature that is fine, but anything else related to these forums, my function here or Dropbox's policies and procedures should be left to another thread or a support request. Thank you.

William S.14
Not applicable
Go to solution

I would recommend to stick to the Oxford dictionary.

Anyway Rich, I would appreciate it if you stop behaving like a lawyer on behalf of Dropbox.

In Europe we don't appreciate people who pretend to be better because they consider themselves as reprentatives.

Dropbox has a serious issue with listening to customers.

It is sad if you consider yourself defender of that....

Nathan J.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rich,

You are putting yourself ahead of the community by FIRST responding to William's email about the definition of "official" and only THEN declaring it to be off thread. If it was off thread and you care about the integrity of the thread then you should restrain from adding your last word to the thread before telling others to move on. You are baiting a response unnecessarily. His frustration with this feature is relevant to the community.

Specific UI decisions necessarily impact some users more than others. This forum gives users a chance to express these impacts in a way that can be influential to an engineering team's prioritization process. This is a feature that will cause some users to leave Dropbox and will leave others with a diminished value from the product. Dropbox is almost certainly monitoring these posts directly whether they weigh in or not. Knowing that some users are turned off by the feature is important but it is also important that Dropbox be aware that users would prefer that they comment from time to time about feature requests.

No they don't have to comment but William is right to post that it would be better for some users and much appreciated if they did. Dropbox isn't a nonprofit volunteering their time to cure world hunger. They are a technology company trying to sell a file storage product and a UI solution to interface with it. As such, their only connection to long term success and relevancy is to fully understand how the customers react to their product and to build a brand relationship base. William is giving good feedback which at least some others would agree with and are happy to see expressed on this thread.

CRXed
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Rich: The forums are a community primarily for user to user support.

Then give some support instead of just defending yourself or the crappy Recent feature!

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Then give some support instead of just defending yourself or the crappy Recent feature!

Unfortunately I'm sure most people here know my opinions on the shambolic implementation of Recents across Dropbox. I've told anybody I can find in person or online exactly what I feel of it and why its (in my opinion) down right dangerous. 

However, ultimately, it is not possible to remove or hide or clear the list. As idiotic as that seems (and I am 100% behind you guys on that) this is as simple as it is I'm afraid 😞

The only work around I have is it make sure when logging on you visit www.dropbox.com/home as that will bypass the recents page - even if you need to log in. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Keith N.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Well, time to call it a day - I've already moved most of my files to Google Drive, with the exception of a few shared folders that I need to leave on DB for now.

I'm fed up with receiving notifications that there are updates to this thread, when they almost all say the same thing: users are unhappy, and Rich is trying to defend the indefensible.

I'm unsubscribing from notifications, as it's clear that nothing is going to happen.

Bye.

Haris K.2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Ok, it's been months now. I appreaciat Dorpbox, and never, NEVER have I had problems or complained. The whole project is just very well, put together an expedited.

Up until today. I do have a complain now. I've wrote about it and got a typical answer (alway polite and all) and a client satisfaction form for the service. Didn't answer as nothing has bee improved. So many people seem to be arguing against it, yet nothing is done.

When I open my computer I see my files like they are on my desktop. When I open a folder I see all the files in them, like I've put them. Why on earth would I want to open my folder and see the last files I used ?! It's bluffing my brain really ? Aside from the fact that someone could be behind my back and glance my recently used files which could be private pictures or anything for that matter (pictures appear in small), I just dealt with those recent files, I'm moving on. If I've made a mistake it's my fault so I go back to the folder in question.

I understand some people maybe work this way. In which case it has to be an option, not beng 'recent files" by default !

This issue has been ongoin for around 6 months now, and I wonder how many more clicks I need to do EVERY SINGLE TIME from recent to go to files and choose the location I need to go to.

So please, lets go with some kind of change...
And one a note: I actually realised that for at least the past 6months, you take the times to close discussions, redirect people to this discussion, and yet nothing is done about the actuall issue.

Stefanie
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thanks very much for your contributions to this thread. I wanted to let you all know that we are monitoring this discussion very closely and your comments are being forwarded to our product, design and engineering teams. The decision makes are aware of the privacy and usability concerns you have about the Recents tab. We are currently in the process of doing a product review and designing the next version of Recents. Your feedback is being taken into account for this. While I cannot make any official promises or share any updates of our roadmap yet, I did want to at least give an update here. 

We will keep you in the loop about the developments. While this forum is mainly moderated by users and super users (thank you Mark and Rich for your contributions!), Dropboxers from all departments are also keeping an eye on it. So please do keep the feedback coming!

Need more support?