cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to remove a context menu that move to dropbox in windows shell

How to remove a context menu that move to dropbox in windows shell

LeeByoungChul
New member | Level 2

Hello.

"Move to dropbox" context menu in Windows Explorer make me crazy.

I don't need the menu, and it is next to the Visual Studio Code context menu,

All both icon color is blue. I am confuse.   

Please let me know how to remove it.

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

There is no option to remove or change the Dropbox context menus.

Parziphal
New member | Level 2
  1. Press "Windows + R"
  2. On the window that appears, type in "regedit" and press Enter
  3. Go to: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT > * > shellex > ContextMenuHandlers (as shown in the screenshot below)
  4. You will see a folder called DropboxExt, right click on it and choose "Delete"

remove-contextmenu.jpg

klepp0906
Collaborator | Level 10

looking for the option to do this as well.  but ideally only for stuff OUTSIDE of the dropbox folder.

deleting the contextmenuhandler from HKCR blanket does it no?  

either way im pretty sure dropbox nefarious/fast track auto updates will just put it back.   Could be wrong though.   Still trying to make it much less obtrusive.

As big and prevelant as they've become, you'd think they would refine the UX a bit.   Even tiny projects like tortoisesvn allow you to completely customize the context menu to your liking.  1 man jobs like 7zip allow you add, remove, or modify the context menu.

yet dropbox will leapfrog overlays, chain drop a startup folder on updates, and give you context menu entries for days with no recourse or customizeability.  

if i wasnt so thoroughly intertwined with it at current and entirely averse to spending time on it atm, id probably be looking for another provider thats not only a better value but less intrusive.  Lots of options these days. 

Sguaraus
Helpful | Level 6

@Parziphal It works! Great! Many thanks :sunglasses:

It would be great if Dropbox, like almost any other less ranked software company (winzip, etc.), would let us users organize the context menu as we please :dizzy_face: 

duszek
New member | Level 2

Add /home-move-to-dropbox=false argument when you right-click Properties on Dropbox icon on the desktop.

Restart your computer.

comebaqq
Explorer | Level 4

It worked

Need more support?