cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed download when trying to download large file

Failed download when trying to download large file

Yeij
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I've been trying to download an 84.2 GB mp4 file for the past two weeks, but every time it fails. I've got an ethernet cable, tried different browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Edge), tried a VPN, tried closing everything but the download tab, and used a download manager, but I haven't been able to download the file fully. What usually happens is that it downloads at my usual download rate, and once it gets to around 40-60 GB it'll abruptly stop, and Firefox will say that it failed. When I tried using FreeDownloadManager, it gave me an HTTP 403 error, so I'm stuck wondering if Dropbox isn't letting me download the file or if it's my ISP (that is if my understanding of what an HTTP 403 error is correct). Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yeij
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'll close this thread now since I've found a solution. I downloaded the desktop app and synced the shared folder onto my computer. I also upgraded to Dropbox Plus but I'm not sure if that's required. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions, Jay.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Yeij, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Is this file on your Dropbox account, or is it via a shared link on the site?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Yeij
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It's a file from a shared link, I did not upload the file to Dropbox.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Currently, the limit is 20 GB maximum when downloading from the site, which could be why you're experiencing this behavior.

Do you have enough quota on your Dropbox account to add the shared link to your account, for it to sync normally to your machine?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Yeij
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I currently have a free account. I assume I have to upgrade my account to download the file I need, then? I'm sorry if I interpreted that wrong, I'm confused by what you meant by "enough quota." Are you referring to space on my Dropbox account? That solution sounds odd to me since I have a colleague who also has access to this shared link and a free account but can download the file just fine. It seems that I'm the only one having issues.

Yeij
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'll close this thread now since I've found a solution. I downloaded the desktop app and synced the shared folder onto my computer. I also upgraded to Dropbox Plus but I'm not sure if that's required. Anyways, thanks for the suggestions, Jay.

kenact
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Your response implies that I have to have a paid account in order to download a large file that was uploaded by someone with a paid account.

Someone uploaded a 76GB file and shared it with me. I have been wasting my time trying to download this file for 2 days. I get about 30-36GB downloaded, and the download fails, WITHOUT A MESSAGE STATING WHY IT FAILED.

It seems to me, DropBox is just wasting my time. If someone has a paid account, they should be able to share their files with anyone they choose. At minimum DropBox should warn them if the person they chose to share their file with, won't be able to download the file because of DropBox limitations.

Based on what I've read here, I will not be spending a dime on DropBox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

kenact New member | Level 2
    Yeij Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?