cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: System Restore Win 8.1

I get an error message that Windows System Restore failed?

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi

When I run Windows System Restore it fails with this error message

System Restore failed to replace the file (D:\Users\*******\Dropbox\.dropbox.cache\qebcobkqbgbzfynfuwbof\placeholder.bat) with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during restore. (0x80070780)

I have completed system recovery from an image without problem but on several occasions I have come up against this error when trying to correct a problem using system restore which would be easier to use if I could. I still have the problem if I run the system restore in safe mode with the same failour message

Any suggestions on allowing the restore to work

Richard

142 Replies 142

kydimos
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

You can also fix the problem by migrating all company data Sharepoint or Google Drive.

This is how my company have chosen to fix the issue

In a few days from now it is by by Dropbox

😄

JacobRusso
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Not sure why Walter's suggestion was accepted as a solution.  He did point us in the right direction.  But here are more specific instructions on how to edit the Windows Registry.   I posted this solution on Page 10, 01-18-2021 08:36 AM.   This seems to work well.

1. Start "Regedit"

2. Navigate to 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
3. Add a Multi-string Value with the Dropbox directory

a. Right-Click in the window on right-side

b. Select New

c.  Select Multi-string value
4. Give the value a descriptive name, like "Dropbox"
5. Double-click the value to open the value editor 

6.  Enter the following string:   %UserProfile%\Dropbox\*.* /s

(NOTE: This means to ignore all files inside the "C:\Users\{yourusername}\Dropbox" directory and Subdirectories.)

7. Press ENTER

8. Click OK to close.

9. Now, navigate to: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToSnapshot

10. REPEAT the above steps 3 thru 8 for this key.

11. Close Regedit

Then, to test if it works, 

1.  Create a System Restore Point

2.  Try to System Restore to the point you just created.

Good Luck & Best regards,

Jacob

Richard P.44
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
Megan sorry this isn't a working solution. I've found that the restore still fails once a few days have past after making the registry change

Skulcar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Have you tried on Windows 11 already?

JacobRusso
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I have not messed with Windows 11 yet, at all.  I'm waiting for my software development toolkit providers to certify on Win 11.  Some lag a bit behind. 

HarrisonS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Hi is there a solution to this problem my computer will not open windows and I don’t know what to do please help?

HarrisonS
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I cant even get into my windows to do these steps... Dropbox has killed my $10k pc WTF

Kris V.1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

It's April 2023!!

I just found out about this bug/issue, so I'm not able to recover my Windows 11 state from a Restore Point.

This is very sad news!!

How is it possible that this is still an issue since 2019!?!.... 🤯

Dropbox should have released an update that forces the regkey change to exclude the folder automatically by default!

Maybe add a toggle button for people who still wish to take their chance by not excluding it?  And some info next to the toggle button explaining the possible risks/issues with creating Restore Points.

codeveroby
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Lol, this is still an issue. Unbelievable.
Boycott DropBox forever.

Eyal M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

i have the same problem now.. cant make my windows system restore, i need help as windows update destroyed my computer and now i cant get back because of dropbox!!!!

Need more support?