cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to make sure we keep you updated on the ideas that other users have shared here on the Community? Us too! Check them out over here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Comments

Installing dropbox to a different hard drive

Re: Installing dropbox to a different hard drive

peterr
New member | Level 2

Good idea William.M47 but that doesn't work (I tried it!)
And no options came up at the end of the install either Rich

Here's how u do it...very, very simple

https://www.howtogeek.com/246590/how-to-change-the-location-of-your-dropbox-folder/

BUT...
You can only do this once dropbox has installed onto your computer. By default it will install to c: drive, and install ALL your data files there as well (Which is exactly what we don't want right!)

To get around this choose "sync selected folders" when the option comes up during install. Then choose a SINGLE small folder to sync. This will quickly sync, then u can change the drive using the process above.

Once you've done this go back into settings>preferences>account>selective sync and sync the rest of your files

Bella444
New member | Level 2

I am a newbee at everything technical. Please be patient with me. I have purchased additional stoarage on Dropbox - 1TB. It is there, however, how do I get it to copy and store the 4,000 plus photos and videos on Picasa 3 OR from Google Photos. I also noticed an option to choose Dropbox in Kaspersky. How do I get it in there to choose that to back up all my folders etc.

I am so sorry for this menu of HELP please. Happy to take it one at a time :grimacing:

any help offered will be greatly appreciated. Please be patient with me and please use pigeon english with very basic how to do instructions.... yep, that nervous about loosing my 'stuff'

Thank you

Bella

JeroUK
New member | Level 2

The help offered so far is not quite grasping the problem, which I also am trying to fix.

I too have a small SSD drive intended for OS only. All other Installs (wherever possible- see below) and data sit on E:.

My Dropbox data is on my large internal hard-drive, E:. Which is fine.

Dropbox, however, insists on installing itself on my small C: drive, which is not fine as it only has about 2.5 Gb left on it. It settles in at about 300 Mb, which quickly adds up.

Google Chrome also does this, which is even more of a problem as it builds up a fair bit of data chaff which I have to clear out regularly.

I get that Dropbox is trying to avoid people installing on a removable/external drive, but this is preventing me from installing on the correct internal drive.

Any help would be delightful, ta 🙂

Cheers

Re: How to Install Drop box on a different drive.

JeroUK
New member | Level 2

Exactly the same problem, exactly the same set-up. Dropbox folk - this is now the 4th thread I've found about the same problem. Maybe your insistence on a C: install is losing you customers? It's certainly going to stop me using you as soon as I've found an alternative.

Cheers.

Spoken125
New member | Level 2

I agree with above posters. Any decent piece of software will allow the user to choose which drive they want to install the software on. Stop being big brother Dropbox, give your customers the choices they deserve. Not everyone has a humongous C: drive. I too would like to install your 280MB software on a different drive as well. I would gladly pay you to make installing to different drives possible. Name your price. LOL

rhopr
New member | Level 2

Even though someone said running the install file from the D drive doesn't prevent Dropbox from installing in C:, I tried it.  I already had my dropbox folder on the D drive, and after downloading the installation file, I moved it to the D drive and ran it from there.  Magically, the Dropbox folder that was already on my D drive was now synced with Dropbox.  Yay!

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rhopr New member | Level 2
    Spoken125 New member | Level 2
    JeroUK New member | Level 2
    Bella444 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?