cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Linux Mint 20 : DropBox no longer syncing despite syncing icon!

Linux Mint 20 : DropBox no longer syncing despite syncing icon!

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello all. I have followed the suggestions made by others but still I am not syncing. I upgraded to Linux Mint 20 yesterday and everything works as it should, except DropBox; a key app for me. I note that the LM version (which I re-downloaded yesterday in an attempt to solve this) is version 107.4.443 whereas the MacOS version is 108.4.453. Thsi information may have nothing to do with the problem but I mention it for information. 

Please help 🙂 

Thanks

John

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

STOP PRESS! 

In the last 5 mins (just after I had posted the above). The folders and files have miraculously updated without any apparent syncing taking place! 

It seems to be working. 

I shall harvest the commans used in case I need them in the future. Meanwhile, thank you all very much for your patience and help.

Regards from a locked-down SW France.

John

View solution in original post

33 Replies 33

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @Iplicjian; thanks for posting on our Community!

Instead of downloading and installing that version of the app, could you try compiling it from source and running it as mentioned here

Let me know the results! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

hello: Right I did precisely as requested and 

user@AsusA54C:~$ tar xjf ./nautilus-dropbox-1.6.1.tar.bz2
tar (child): ./nautilus-dropbox-1.6.1.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
user@AsusA54C:~$ tar xjf ./nautilus-dropbox-1.6.1.tar.bz2
tar (child): ./nautilus-dropbox-1.6.1.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar (child): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
user@AsusA54C:~$ 

However, please note that the latest version as far as I could see was this 

debian/

(as I'm running Mint)

dropbox_1.4.0_amd64.deb

Please advise soonest as I would love to get DropBox working again! 

Thanks

John

STrRedWolf
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm going to assume you're new at the command line, so bear with me if you're a bit better.

First of all, Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu.  I don't know if nautilus-dropbox has a PPA with an updated version.

Second of all, you may need to install bzip2.  "tar" uses external programs, and .bz2 files are compressed using bzip2.

sudo apt-get install bzip2

If you're compiling anything on your system, you'll also need the build-essentials package:

sudo apt-get install build-essentials

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hello! Yes I made an error selecting Ubuntu as I knew it was Debian. However, Whilst  I am happy to follow command line instructions (and do so with some excitement actualy, having bene arond Unix for 30 years but NEVER having becoming a guru) I found the instructions a little brief to be honest. 

If you would be good enough to list what I need to do, I will follow the steps faithfully! I will be VERY happy and grateful when it works too! 

Thanks in anticipation 🙂 

John

STrRedWolf
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

It's fine!  Just wanted to be careful.

A small hint:  Ubuntu is actually based on Debian, so it's all good ether way.  Debian just lags a bit behind by intention.

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Now that France (where I live) is on full lock-down again, I have lots of time to help you to resolve tis issue. I just need to know the steps to follw please. It is VERY frustrating as it is efefctively stopping me from working with my Linux Mint PC because I use DropBox for all my work and private data! 

Please help. 

Regards

John

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Still no reply / solution. Surely someone is syncing using Linux Mint 20 ? If so, please share HOW ??? 

Since I upgraded from Linux Mint 19 to v 20, Dropbox hasn't sync'ed and yet shows the sync'ing icon in the systerm tray. 

Please help Dropbox support team. 

STrRedWolf
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Did you run the commands I gave?

If you did, then you can try the "tar" command again.

Iplicjian
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yes I think I did but unclear as to what is expected to happen. Gratfeul if you could advise step by step. Am very happy with terminal but I need to know what to type 🙂 

Apologies in advance! 

Regards from Lockdown in France !

Need more support?