cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost Finder Integration in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Lost Finder Integration in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Albert D.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

since a few days it seems that I have lost the Finder-Integration in OS X 10.11.

Synchronization works fine, but I'm missing the Dropbox-Icon (in the sidebar the folder looks like a regular folder) and there is no status icon next to the files either (if the file is being synced, etc).

On my wifes computer (running 10.11) as well all works fine - I'm wondering if this has to do because I have the Pro-Account?!?!

68 Replies 68

Albert D.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Roberto!

I can confirm that this solved the issue - I had to disable the system integrity protection (csrutil disable) and after a reboot it was necessary to fix the permissions (as explained from you above).

Since I did not like the csrutil to remain turned off I rebooted the machine again and re-enabled it.

Thank you!

Albert

Edit: it started to work again - even after the csrutil enable command (it took some time after reboot) I see the finder integration working as normal!!!

Roberto G.6
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Albert D.

It's great to know this worked for you, this is my first contribution to this forum.

Cheers.

Dmitry M.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you, guys, I could not solve this problem 3 months!

Chelsea H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thank you, thank you, thank you Roberto G.!! It worked!!

Robert S.
Super User alumni
Go to solution

Ok, I'll just chip in at this point to ensure anybody reading this topic fully understands the ramifications of disabling System Integrity Protection.

SIP is an important new layer of protection introduced in El Capitan designed to prevent any potentially malicious software from modifying protected system files and folders.

As such, it really isn't something that should be left turned off, so make sure to re-enable it when you've done.

Curtis R.3
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

For me the fix was to go to Dropbox Preferences > General > uncheck Enable Finder integration, then recheck it again.

Then go to Dropbox Preferences> Account > option click Unlink This Dropbox to say fix permissions. Fix permissions.

Finder integration is now working again in El Capitan.11.11.1

LA M.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Curtis's fix did it for me!  Thanks! How frustrating!

Tim M.15
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Curtis, I followed your steps and saw the green checkmarks - huzzah!

Only problem, it didn't last. As I watch my Public folder, the green checkmarks appear then disappear a second later. On and off, repeatedly. I can't right-click fast enough to get a sharing link.

Still broken for me, worse the small top menu drop-down only shows the last few files. I have have hundreds that I can't get links for currently, and the web view of won't let me sort newest to oldest.

Jamie S.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is clearly a serious issue to do with El Capitan since it has just happened to me out of the blue also. Tried all of the above solutions and nothing worked for me so far. Is anybody from Dropbox looking into this?

The finder integration is not there in the activity monitor on my mac which means that that must have something to do with it. No matter how many times I quit dropbox, trash it, download it again, unlink it, fix permissions, nothing works.

Andrew L.28
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had success with a combination of Robert S and G's instructions.

I never had any issues with folders been displayed in the sidebar just the right menu share link etc for both box and dropbox.

1. Tried disabling finder integration.. then unlinking/relinking account -  NO GO

2. Disabled SIP in recovery mode then rebooted. All good. Menu items restored and working for both box and dropbox.

3. Enabled SIP again and rebooted -  Box right click menus were still there on reboot, dropbox links disappeared again. 

4. Disabled integration, unlinked account.. relinked account AGAIN with SIP still enabled and dropbox right click menu links working again. ??

There is also this I found on http://www.trankynam.com/xtrafinder/sip.html

How to partially disable System Integrity Protection

Refer this Apple's article .

Follow these steps:

1. Boot to Recovery OS by restarting your machine and holding down the Command and R keys at startup.
2. Launch Terminal from the Utilities menu.
3. Enter the following command: csrutil enable --without debug
Reboot your computer.

Need more support?