cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Lost Finder Integration in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Lost Finder Integration in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Albert D.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

since a few days it seems that I have lost the Finder-Integration in OS X 10.11.

Synchronization works fine, but I'm missing the Dropbox-Icon (in the sidebar the folder looks like a regular folder) and there is no status icon next to the files either (if the file is being synced, etc).

On my wifes computer (running 10.11) as well all works fine - I'm wondering if this has to do because I have the Pro-Account?!?!

68 Replies 68

John B.171
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I found that to get the "Finder" Section back in the System Preferences => Extensions, you have to use the system integrity protection disable/enable trick above. Then once it appears, you can check/uncheck the individual finder integrations to re-activate them. Dropbox now has little icons again.

Dieter m.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@Jason b

@all

Quick, simple and safe!

THX Jason

Vidya A.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same problem here with my iMac running El Capitan, 10.11.2.

I have disabled/enabled SIP, unlinked/linked back Dropbox, Force Quit and relaunched Finder, unchecked/rechecked Finder Integration in Dropbox and System Preferences, and fixed permissions numerous times - No Dice. 

Like Jamie, S. above, I too don't see Dropbox Finder Integration listed in my Activity Monitor, which suggests the process is simply not running.

Syncing is working just fine. 

Any other suggestions? 

marko k.2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Marcin C. approach do the trick for me too

In my case, I just disabled the Google Drive integration (Preferences => Advanced => Show file sync status icons and right click menu), and after hitting "Apply" my Dropbox integration re-appeared instantly. Then I went back to the Google Drive settings and I re-enabled finder integration for it. Now both seem to be working...

thanks

Nick B.9
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@ Jason B's advice was perfect!!! Copy/pasting it here:

-Click on the Dropbox icon from your Desktop and quit the application
-Open your Activity Monitor from your Mac Utilities folder
-Force quit out of the instances of the Dropbox application that are running by searching for "Dropbox" in the search bar, then clicking on the "x" force quit icon on the top left
-Re-start Dropbox from the applications folder by double clicking on the Dropbox application
-Click on the Apple icon in the top left of your screen
-Click on "force quit"
-Relaunch the finder

(instructions were provided by Dropbox Support)

Nabor E.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This worked for me:

• Dropbox Preferences/General: uncheck Enable Finder Integration
  • Open Force Quit Application: relaunch Finder
  • Dropbox Preferences/General: check Enable Finder Integration

Wayne S.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Having read all the above, I was able to restore my Dropbox ICON into the finder side bar after updating to El Captain OSX 10.11.3 for the first time by:

1. Opening the Dropbox Application (which had disappeared from the task bar).
  2. Open Dropbox preferences>General and make sure "Enable Finder Integration" is checked.
  3. Open Dropbox preferences>Account and find the Dropbox Location.
  4. Open Finder. Locate the location of your Dropbox folder from 3 above.
  5. In Finder, "Drag" the Dropbox folder into the left side bar of finder and place in desired location within favourites.
  6. All restored as before.

I do not have Google Drive and did not use Terminal or re-boot as others have suggested.

These steps worked for me. Good luck.

Barbara E.13
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I wrestled with this for a week. I work on documents all day, and the inability to search files was crippling. I reinstalled Dropbox about 5 times, and the last time the integration returned. I'm holding my breath, but it is now working for the 4th day. 

joehanna
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

What worked for me was using Curtis R's suggestion of turning off Finder Integration and then back on again followed by Option-Right-Click on the Finder icon in the dock and choose "Relaunch".

Joe

Andreas Hopf
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same issue, El Capitan 10.11.3, on new 15" MBPs - suddenly Dropbox icon missing from Finder menu bar, Dropbox file status icon missing from all files, right-click functionality lost. What commenter Michael Y. suggested above did the trick:

• Go to System Preferences > Extensions (puzzle piece icon)
  • Highlight Finder and uncheck Dropbox Finder Integration
  • Reboot

But why Dropbox drops out suddenly, every now and then, is a mystery to me.

Need more support?