cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Finder Integration in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Lost Finder Integration in OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)

Albert D.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi,

since a few days it seems that I have lost the Finder-Integration in OS X 10.11.

Synchronization works fine, but I'm missing the Dropbox-Icon (in the sidebar the folder looks like a regular folder) and there is no status icon next to the files either (if the file is being synced, etc).

On my wifes computer (running 10.11) as well all works fine - I'm wondering if this has to do because I have the Pro-Account?!?!

68 Replies 68

John B.171
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I installed Google Drive as a test, and it doesn't have any finder integration, nor changes it icon to a "google drive" icon like the example shows either. I disabled and re-enabled it in Google Drive and it also doesn't show at all.

Now I'm starting to think this  isn't a Dropbox specific issue, but rather an Apple issue. So now I'm screwed, because we don't have official Apple support here in South Africa, since Apple doesn't exist here (all sales through retailers).

Miguel M.14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Doesn't work again, probably since I restarted my iMac

william f.18
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I upgraded my macbook to El Capitan and the dropbox folder was gone from the finder sidebar. I signed into the dropbox.com website and downloaded dropbox, then I installed it. Still not in the sidebar. Went to the finder Go dropdown menu and clicked on home. The dropbox folder appeared in alphabetical order. Then I was able to click on it and do CTRL CMND T (also in the file menu) and that put it back. Apologize if that's not the problem the rest of you are having.

Michael Y.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Bought a new macbook pro with El Capitan and lost all the green icons when I installed the Dropbox app.  Here is what worked for me:

Log out of Dropbox
- Go to System Preferences > Extensions
- Highlight Finder and Uncheck Dropbox Finder Integration
- Reboot

After rebooting the green icons were back in finder and Dropbox Finder Integration was already checked again.

Massimo T.2
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Michael thanks, your post allowed me to find a solution to my specific issue. In my case, from System Preferences -> Extensions -> Finder, it's been sufficient to uncheck Finder Integration for both Google Drive and Sinology Cloud Station, hence keeping checked Finder Integration for Dropbox only. After that and after rebooting, status icons re-appeared and Dropbox Finder Integration correctly works.

John B.171
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Oops. My machine lost the Finder section completely? The entire sub-system must be broken. This must have happened during 10.11.2 because before that it was all working.

></p>

John B.171
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Looks like the csrutil enable/disable trick seems to be the only way to solve this. I did that, rebooted in CMD+R mode twice to disable and then re-enable the system integrity protection sub-system and now all the extensions have re-appeared and new options on the left. 

However, still no icons inside the finder. Although Google Drive's icons appear. But Right-click on a dropbox file works now with the "copy public link", etc.  

></p>

Marcin C.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

In my case, I just disabled the Google Drive integration (Preferences => Advanced => Show file sync status icons and right click menu), and after hitting "Apply" my Dropbox integration re-appeared instantly. Then I went back to the Google Drive settings and I re-enabled finder integration for it. Now both seem to be working...

julie m.32
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

so i attempted everything in this thread, including the recover mode terminal command {though i couldn't figure out how to access the terminal without a corded mouse}.  the last round of attempts included this and fixing permissions but unfortunately after restart, dropbox bonked on me and i couldn't even get it to start.

which forced me to do a complete trash of everything dropbox {except for my actual dropbox files} and reinstall:

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/128551/dropbox-asking-for-permissions-to-wrong-folder-after...

looks like its working so far, status icons have reappeared and the finder integration is back!

Miguel M.14
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Definitely fixed after uninstallinc Synology Cloud Sync.

See if there is any uncompatibility among the different finder integrations under PReferences, Extensions, finder.

Happy new year.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

CorradoR New member | Level 2
    lanstrad Explorer | Level 4
    Heath J. New member | Level 1
    Tomek L. New member | Level 1
    Peter Y. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?