cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating to a new PC

Migrating to a new PC

Alan41
Explorer | Level 4

I have bought a new PC and migrated all the files from my old PC to my new one. 

I had Dropbox on my old machine, and had synced all my local files onto it. I want to do the same on my new machine. 

I have installed Dropbox on the new machine, and it has started to sync the files that it finds there. However, the files are duplicates of the ones on the old machine, so my Dropbox is filling up with second copies from the new machine of the files it had synced from the old one. 

Help! How do I set up Dropbox so that it will sync new files that I store, but not all the old ones that it already has?

24 Replies 24

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Alan41, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When you migrated the files across, did you copy them into a Dropbox folder you created, or onto another location?

Are you requesting that the Dropbox desktop application detects your migrated files to prevent re-syncing the same files again?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Alan41
Explorer | Level 4

I migrated the files from the C Drive on my old computer to the C Drive on my new computer. I had synced the files from my old computer to Dropbox, and now want to sync any new files that I add to my new C Drive to that image on Dropbox. 

Does that make sense?

Alan41
Explorer | Level 4

So, yes I want  the Dropbox desktop application to detect your migrated files to prevent re-syncing the same files again?

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Do you have a custom location for the Dropbox folder, or did you leave it as the default location?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Alan41
Explorer | Level 4

No, I have a number of folders, and some individual files, in my default Dropbox location.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Alan41, just to be clear on this, at the moment, do you have two Dropbox folders on your computer?

One you migrated from your old PC and the new, default Dropbox folder that was created, when you installed the app, right?

Have you allowed the app to finish syncing your Dropbox files in the new Dropbox folder?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Alan41
Explorer | Level 4

No @Hannah . I have two computers and one Dropbox folder, accessible from each of them. 

I am trying to set up my new computer, with Dropbox on it, so that it works the same as my old one used to do. Then I will be able to turn off my old computer and start using the new one.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for clarifying, Alan!

If that's the case, all you need to do is install the Dropbox application on your new computer and allow it to sync your files to the new computer.

If all the files in your old Dropbox folder are accessible when using our website, it means they're synced with your account.

So, the application will simply download and sync them to your new computer's hard drive.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Alan41
Explorer | Level 4

So, to be clear (I hope),

I have two Dell PCs, an old one and a new one. I have Dropbox installed on each of them, and have migrated the contents of the C Drive from the old to the new, using Dell's Dell Migrate Tool (DMT). 

Each PC has (as far as I can tell) only one Dropbox folder, at C:/users/agree/Dropbox.

The old one had a number of files and folders in that Dropbox. 

Once I had installed Dropbox on the new PC, it started to sync the files and folders. I noticed that it seemed to be duplicating the files: each file appears as <name> and as <name> (1). I have now paused the sync on the new machine. 

The duplicated files appear in the Dropbox folder on both the old machine and the new machine. They also appear on the online folder on dropbox.com.

There is a second problem: on the new machine (but not on the old one or the website) the original file appears corrupted: the logo against the file has a yellow mark on the bottom left corner, and the corresponding app (Word or Acrobat) reports that it is corrupted and that it cannot open it. 

I have tried to uninstall Dropbox on the new machine and reinstall it. the Dropbox folder disappeared once I had done the uninstall, and reappeared once I had reinstalled it. Dropbox started to sync as normal, but it was synching both the first and the second (1) version of each file. 

What should I do to stop it duplicating the files, and why are the originals (but not the (1) copies) corrupted on the new machine (only)?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Alan41 Explorer | Level 4
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?