cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Our new Dropbox updates make your online life easier. See how you can store online-only files, edit photos in Dropbox and annotate PDFs with these updates.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My personal account has been deleted! Please help.

My personal account has been deleted! Please help.

Kevin E.7
New member | Level 1

I have had a personal account for years with dozens of important files. Recently a new client of mine wanted to share a folder so he sent me a link. I guess it was a "Business Folder" and it got linked to my personal account somehow. Every time I clicked on their folder (which was on the left-hand sidebar of my browser right underneath my personal account folder) I would get nothing. It would just show my personal subfolders. So I asked this client to remove me from the folder he invited me to. Once he did I can't access my personal folder. And I can't even sign back in. I tried the "Forgot your password" but it says "No account exists with that email address." Just to be able to post this question I had to create a new account with a secondary email address I use occasionally. I emailed Technical Support two days ago but no response yet and I really need to access my personal files now. Please help!

Thanks,
Kevin

23 Replies 23

Re: My personal account has been deleted! Please help.

Rich
Super User II

When you joined your client's business team, your personal account was merged into theirs. Basically, from that point on your account no longer existed. When you were removed from the team, that account was deleted. This is why it's always suggested to join a team with a separate, new account.

You'll need to ask your client's team admin to contact Dropbox Support and ask them to have the account restored.

Kevin E.7
New member | Level 1

Thanks Rich! They actually tried to re-invite me to the business folder, but I have yet to click on "Accept." I was worried it might somehow create a new account for me and wipe out my old files (which I hope are still backed up on Dropbox.com servers!).

Rich
Super User II

Accepting a new invitation will not restore your previous account. They need to get Dropbox Support involved.

Kevin E.7
New member | Level 1

That's what I thought so that's why I didn't accept it. We've sent a note to Tech Support. Thanks again.

Y. Louis
New member | Level 1

Hi I have the same problem  , have personal account get lost!! How can I restore my previous account??

Rich
Super User II

As has been stated already, if this was the result of joining and leaving a Business account, the owners of the Business account will need to contact Dropbox support.

You'll need to ask your client's team admin to contact Dropbox Support and ask them to have the account restored. 

Rolands P.
New member | Level 1

please return back deleted dropbpx account

Y. Louis
New member | Level 1

I have send email to dropbox support at January 29, 2016. But I still haven't got any reply on it. I don't know where they will have response on my problem. Or they will not have any support for non-business user??

Rich
Super User II

@Rolands: If you deleted the account yourself then it cannot be recovered. Once an account is deleted it is gone for good. If this happened when you left a Business Account, the owner of that account needs to contact Support for you.

@Y. Louis: Sending an email is not the way to contact Support. You must open a ticket through the Support page.

To everyone reading this thread... As it has been stated already, if you lost your account because you left or were removed from a Business Account, the owners of the Business account will need to contact Dropbox support and request that your account be restored. You will not be able to do it yourself.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropboxer
    Ca1 New member | Level 2
    SFLLTodd Explorer | Level 3
    LK2 New member | Level 2
    Amm1208 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?