cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to back-up hard drive when I clicked "don't ask again" once

No dialog box when connecting external HD?

Jennifer G.29
Helpful | Level 6

I want to back up my external HD to my Dropbox account.

What should happen: When I connect the external drive, I should get a popup that asks if I want to back up the external drive, I select it, then set it up.

What does happen: Nothing. I don't get a popup when I connect the external drive. In Preferences/Backups, the "Hide all setup notifications when new external drives are plugged-in" is NOT selected and never has been.

The only instructions Support could provide are "You get a pop up window saying back up this external hard drive and you select it and then you click on set up." I don't get the popup, so I can't do this.

I don't see another way to set the external drive to back up. I know this is a relatively new feature, but it isn't working at all for me and I haven't seen any other threads with this problem. How can I find a way to do this? Thanks for your help.

51 Replies 51

Jay
Dropbox Staff
If you're still experiencing issues with the external drive backup, I'd recommend getting in contact with the support team directly for further assistance as they would be able to investigate further on their end.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

xuser06
Helpful | Level 6

Hey @Jay,

I'm trying this over with a new drive, and getting similar results.

I can see via another application that there is an "/volumes/drive_name/.dbxignore" file on the drive.

You mentioned to delete this.

I do not know how to do that on an external hard drive (Western Digital My Passport drive), but would like to in order to push this forward.

Can you (or anyone else for that matter) please inform?

I have searched around for this instructions already and can't find anything concrete.

I'm using a macbook pro with OSx Catalina.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
The file should be visible in Finder, so you can delete it from there. 

If you're not able to do so, please let me know more details on what you're experiencing.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

apollo5678
Helpful | Level 5

Hi guys some new info provided to me direct by support.

They claim:

"your external drive's usage is 825.5 GB. Please note that, currently external drives on Mac computers with more than 256 GB of usage, are not able to be backed up."

I'm not sure why dropbox was prompting me first when I first connected my drive. They also claim:

"The External Drive backup feature, allows you to back up an external hard drive directly to your Dropbox account on dropbox.com.

Please note that, the external Drive backup will be uploaded, to a folder named “[Name of your external drive]”.

So it will be uploaded as a whole and you will not have to choose which folders to backup.

The option you are referring to, can only be performed by the Computer Backup feature and not the External Drive backup.

"

This is odd because when I went to click through the options when I first saw the popup, I am almost certain it asked me which folders I wanted to back up from my external drive. Can anyone else confirm whether the external drive back up option allows you to select specific folders or not? Thanks

Matt B1
Helpful | Level 5

Seriously Dropbox, is that true – "currently external drives on Mac computers with more than 256 GB of usage, are not able to be backed up."

There's no mention of that anywhere, only that we should use an out of date disk format, and my external drive is 2TB.

I've been an advocate of Dropbox since the early days but this whole experience with the external drive backup functionality has been uncharacteristically shoddy. Please get it fit for purpose asap.

matsuli
Explorer | Level 3

Same issue here. Have sent an email to support but judging by the response and comments here this feature is not production tested at all....

matsuli
Explorer | Level 3

Solved after a message to support - this worked for me

In order to help you with being unable to receive a notification for external drive backup, can you please relink your account? This is to ensure to refresh the data on your device.

1. Sign in to dropbox.com with one of the accounts you’d like to unlink.
2. Click your avatar (profile picture or initials) and select “Settings’
3. In the Security tab, under Devices, click on the trash can symbol for the device which is experiencing issues
4. Your Dropbox will then prompt you to re-enter your account information. Your account will then take a few moments to re-index your Dropbox folder, and sync any pending changes before returning to normal activity.

If you have any questions at all, Matt, please do not hesitate to email.

gmtfd
Explorer | Level 3

I'm on Windows 10. I was hoping to back up a 4TB Seagate external HD (NTFS formatted) to Dropbox. The Dropbox app was not offering me the option to back up the drive. I followed the steps in matsuli's post above to unlink my PC and my Dropbox account. Unfortunately, now the Dropbox app will not start. I get the following message:

"Couldn't start Dropbox.

This is usually because of a permissions error. Storing your home folder on a network share can also cause an error."

Then there is a link to a text file which contains the following:

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
bn.VERSION: 141.4.3299
bn.constants.WINDOWS_SHELL_EXT_VERSION: 52
bn.is_frozen: True
machine_id: ee043a44-2832-4b62-9ea2-384b83c353ea
pid: 8648
cwd: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
parent mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
HOME: None
appdata: 'C:\\Users\\garet\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
real_path='C:\\Users\\garet\\AppData\\Local\\Dropbox\\instance1'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
dropbox_path: None
not found
parent not found
sys_executable: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\Dropbox.exe'
mode=0o100777 uid=0 gid=0
trace.__file__: 'C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\141.4.3299\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
real_path='C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Dropbox\\Client\\141.4.3299\\python-packages.zip\\dropbox\\client\\ui\\common\\boot_error.pyc'
not found
parent not found
TMP: C:\Users\garet\AppData\Local\Temp
TEMP: C:\Users\garet\AppData\Local\Temp
tempdir: 'C:\\Users\\garet\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
real_path='C:\\Users\\garet\\AppData\\Local\\Temp'
mode=0o40777 uid=0 gid=0
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "dropbox\client\authentication\register_host_helper.pyc", line 483, in _try_register_host
File "dropbox\client\authentication\register_host_helper.pyc", line 949, in handle_changed_host_secret
File "dropbox\sync_root\helpers.pyc", line 367, in destroy_root_from_config
AssertionError

I have tried restarting my PC and uninstalling / reinstalling the Dropbox app, but I keep getting the same message. I am not running any third party security software.

I'd really value any assistance with the above. I feel like I'm slipping backwards down a rabbithole...

Gareth

tibo1234
New member | Level 2

Hi there,

I recently decided to have a backup of my external SSD (APFS format). When first prompted a few months ago I must have said "no, don't show again".

But now I would like to have the whole SSD backed-up, how can I do that ?

I have been told there is a hidden file to delete so that dropbox can view the SSD as a new disk, but I can't figure out which file it is.

Thanks for your help. : )

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Hi @tibo1234, let's see what we can find on this! 

Can you try  uninstalling and then  re-installing the app? That won't affect any of your files, of course. 

After you do, try to connect the external once again. 

Keep me posted on the results. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?