cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
From Dropbox Dash and Dropbox AI to seamless integrations with tools like Gmail, learn how Dropbox makes your day more efficient and easier, and how sci-fi is becoming reality here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ask
Reply and help

Parallels virtualization interferes with Dropbox

Parallels virtualization interferes with Dropbox

mauricev
Collaborator | Level 9

When I try to install Dropbox on a Parallels virtual machine running Mac OS, it's not possible to install Dropbox because something is interfering with the display of the Dropbox installation window. Below is a screenshot of the window. This doesn't do the situation justice because it actually flickers on the right side where there is black. This problem is also present on a separate virtual machine running Big Sur. The host itself is a Mac and that works normally.

dropbox flicker.png

3 Replies 3

Re: Parallels virtualization interferes with Dropbox

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Hey @mauricev, thanks for reaching out to our Community.

Keep in mind that generally, installing Dropbox on a virtual machine, may show unexpected behavior, since it's third party software.

Just as a tip, for Dropbox to work correctly, it needs to be installed in an OS that is not part of a shared session.

Also, it would need to be installed into a user account that is part of this virtual machine and only accessed by that user account. 

You can of course contact the manufacturer of the VM for more info as well.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mauricev
Collaborator | Level 9

Your response is strange. 

First, Parallels is not third-party software. It's a hypervisor. There should be no reason and no way that it could interfere with how Dropbox functions. Whatever is going is unexplained.

Second, I have no idea what it means to say “it needs to be installed in an OS that is not part of a shared session”. I have no idea even a what a session refers to, let alone a shared session.

Third, the statement “it would need to be installed into a user account that is part of this virtual machine and only accessed by that user account” is bizarre and doesn’t make much sense.

I was just hoping to see if anyone else experienced this peculiar behavior and to note it for anyone else who runs into it. Only the developers can figure out what’s going on under the hood.

JefferE
New member | Level 2

I am getting this same thing. I believe its because the DropBox client is an Electron app. VSCode exhibits the same exact behavior and the solution is to run VSCode with the --disable-gpu flag which tells the VM not to run it with hardware acceleration.

This flag apparently does not exist on DropBox client.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JefferE New member | Level 2
    mauricev Collaborator | Level 9
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?