cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please make the tiny filenames icons un-clickable on MacOS

Please make the tiny filenames icons un-clickable on MacOS

GuyBoi
Explorer | Level 3

After recently upgrading Dropbox on MacOS, I see Dropbox have refreshed the the tiny sync icons you get inline with the filename. See here the icon between PICTURES and 18 Oct.

Screenshot 2023-01-24 at 14.41.21.png

They are now clickable - where previously if you wanted to make a cloud file 'available offline', you'd have to right-click and select the relevant menu item, now you can simply click the icon in the filename to download everything within a folder.

In theory this sounds very sreamlined and functional, but in reality  you've placed the icon where it can be very easily clicked by accident, especially when navigating save menus within programs and opening folders quicky.

This isn't a huge issue on individual files, but when navigating folders I have now twiced clicked by mistake the cloud icon on a parent folder, triggering the download of thousands of files. When I try to stop it, it gets stuck in a weird limbo, eventually I have to restart and resync the relevant files. This is very irritating and has cost some time of work.

It is useful to be able to quickly see in the filename whether a folder is cloud or offline ready, but i'd rather have to right-click to download them, as before, so as not to keep making this mistake. Or at least make this new feature a toggle option in the menus.

I've been a very long time Dropbox user, and have had hardly any issues before, so hoping this can be tweaked!

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @GuyBoi, thanks for reaching out to the Dropbox Community.

We really appreciate your feedback here.

I'll pass your comments along to our team about this.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

GuyBoi
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you! One thought is maybe if you click the icon in a folder, it could come up with a dialogue box to make sure you meant to click on it (a bit like how it does now when you move a file out of Dropbox, it gives you a warning). You wouldn't need this on individual files, just folders where it has the potential to download a lot of items by mistake.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GuyBoi Explorer | Level 3
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?