cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Recent Dropbox - Mac 12.3 Monterey support

Recent Dropbox - Mac 12.3 Monterey support

Nousmedis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The official support page relating to Mac OS Monterey 12.3 Dropbox compatibility is 2 months old now, and Apple just released (April 2022) first beta version of 12.4 and patched 12.3 with 12.3.1, but still no references to current status other than "in late march we will release a beta version...". How can I know is the beta version is now secure or how many days, weeks or months (or years!) do we still need to wait for the final stable release of a 12.3 and up supported version of Dropbox?

137 Replies 137

REK1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That's a helpful link. Alas, it serves to show only how screwed up the situation is. I can only assume that for Dropbox to continue to be silent on this issue is evidence of how much trouble they are having getting Dropbox to work with the new MacOS architecture. We really don't want to make a switch, and move nearly 10 TB of data, but we can't all keep our Macs on OS 12.2 forever. Worse, we're unable to replace anyone's aging Mac at the moment, lest it has 12.3 already installed.

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I have Dropbox v148.3.4469 on Monterey 12.3.1 (Intel). Online files still showing as Zero bytes. My Dropbox folders have not moved (I have read in other threads about them being moved to ~/Library/CloudStorage to be OS compatible).

We too are considering dumping Dropbox and migrating to another provider over this issue. It is incredibly frustrating to have to go to every online file required in Finder and make it available offline before it can be opened in an app.

Even worse, for my workflow using Sketchup none of my online component library files (I have thousands) now show thumbnails, making it incredibly laborious to find a particular component model I want to insert into a scene.

As already pointed out, Dropbox will have known about Monterey 12.3 for a some time in advance, yet seems to have been completely unprepared for the release. Please give us users some information so we can decide what we need to do.

smoocat
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It beggars belief that Dropbox is now non functional due a Mac OS update. How is it that two huge companies can't collaborate on something so important for todays cloud users. I've been reduced to using my old laptop now just to be able to function properly. I look forward to the day when large corporates are held responsible for businesses having to continuously find workarounds and patches because they use actual users to find out the bugs instead of testing the software for a few months before releasing. If Applenotofied Dropbox of this pending change that would affect a large portion of it's users, then shame on Dropbox for not having this sorted. I'd love to invoice Dropbox or Apple for my loss of time (again) when things don't work after some upgrade. 

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I've just notified Dropbox that I am migrating to OneDrive. We have an Office365 subscription so it makes financial sense anyway, its just that we have been long time DB users so didn't move before.  I'm no programmer but if they can make OneDrive, iCloud and CreativeCloud work surely rocket science is not involved?

I will expect a refund as we only recently paid up our subscription... and yes wouldn't it be good to invoice for time and loss of earnings!

REK1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@keithswd: I thought OneDrive had similar issues with 12.3? Has Microsoft been able to come up with a fix faster than Dropbox? I'd still prefer to stick with Dropbox because of the hassle of moving 10TB of data and ~50 accounts to something else, but this is getting beyond ridiculous that Dropbox isn't saying a word.

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Re OneDrive, in my experience I can select and insert online-only files in my OneDrive folders into both Sketchup and Autocad without generating an 'invalid file' error. The file size is correctly shown as well. And I can see thumbnails - I have sometimes had to make a folder available offline to get file thumbnails to appear, then 'Save Disk Space' to make it online-only again. But the thumbnails have stayed - so far - and they continue to insert as if stored locally, with a minimal delay for downloading.

So it appears to be working for me better than Dropbox, but I will do a bit more testing before I make the final leap.

Luckily we are a small office with less than 2TB of data online and a small team, so migrating should be a headache rather than a full on migraine.

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I have had a reply from DB support, apparently by one of the team of developers working on the Monterey 12.3 compatible release.  He tells me that a beta has already been rolled out to Plus and Professional users who are signed up for early releases.  It is to be released to Teams users like me in the 'near future'. 

Still a bit vague, but a little more than we knew before!

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

The macOS 12.3 issue has been discussed in many threads with occasional contributions from Dropbox staff.  Many of us are using the beta and discussing it in various scattered threads which is part of the problem. If you search the Community for "CloudStorage" you will find most of them.

Here are a few of the more informative ones:-

Dropbox for macOS 12 | What you need to know 

Dropbox Location change to ~/Library/CloudStorage on Macs 

Confusion about Dropbox folder location in macOS Monterey 12.3 

Dropbox are not managing the communication of this topic at all well IMHO, especially the impact on third party apps which use Dropbox.

BeauGiles
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

@Michael unfortunately those links don't work for me - just goes to an Access Denied page.

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

@BeauGiles . More mysteries of the Dropbox Community! 

Are signed up for early releases? 

I am but even so I do vaguely remember having to sign-in or sign-up for to go to a link that a Dropbox staff sent me to, and that is probably why you are denied access. 

Maybe a Dropbox staff will help here.

Need more support?