cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Dropbox - Mac 12.3 Monterey support

Recent Dropbox - Mac 12.3 Monterey support

Nousmedis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The official support page relating to Mac OS Monterey 12.3 Dropbox compatibility is 2 months old now, and Apple just released (April 2022) first beta version of 12.4 and patched 12.3 with 12.3.1, but still no references to current status other than "in late march we will release a beta version...". How can I know is the beta version is now secure or how many days, weeks or months (or years!) do we still need to wait for the final stable release of a 12.3 and up supported version of Dropbox?

137 Replies 137

jparet
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox has updated the Monterey article on their website.

It seems we might have to wait until november for full functionality to return.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-12-monterey-support

Michael B.10
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

@jparet wrote:

Dropbox has updated the Monterey article on their website.

It seems we might have to wait until november for full functionality to return.

https://help.dropbox.com/installs/macos-12-monterey-support

I find Dropbox rollout and communication very confusing. I have been using Dropbox betas since April and have the fileproviderd extension, CloudStorage location and third party functionality since then, with all latest versions of macOS, including Ventura. There are others posting in the community in the same situation. 

I have a simple Dropbox Plus account, not Teams or Business or Enterprise. I suspect that it is not being rolled out to these, but Dropbox have not said this AFAIK. 

Meanwhile they put out these apparently contradictory statements in scattered threads about solution coming in fourth quarter or November. 

It really feels like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

zaak
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Meanwhile, the article fails to mention that SmartSync has a ton of other issues on 12.5.  Also, in the last few weeks, I've noticed the problems getting worse instead of better.  Here are the real issues and none of these have work-arounds.

1. Folders that and project files (packages) that aren't local always show 0K as the size. Super annoying.
2. The sync status icons are a total mess. First, they often don't change/refresh properly and you have to manually open/close folders to see the proper icon. Second, they are often plain wrong. For example, a folder that is online/local shows all the files as online but the folder icon shows a cloud. Or local/synced files show the "open" checkmark instead of the filled checkmark.
3. The biggest problem of all is that the Modified Date for folders and bundles actually gets changed when you sync. This is a nightmare. More on that here:
https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Smart-Sync-changes-quot-modified-quot-date-o...

For anyone who cares, this is all happening on a regular old Dropbox Plus account. You couldn't pay me to mess around with their beta software. This is just core stuff that needs to be fixed.  Also, I can't imagine that these issues have anything to do with what type of account you have as long as you have SmartSync. It's all basic SmartSync core functionality.  Or non-functionality.

Dropbox SmartSync is an NFT.  Non Functioning Technology.

skylark4444
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Sounds to me like Dropbox is not investing in its business. Totally unacceptable to

drop off the radar not communicate and worse yet not provide compatibility with

OS 12.6 Monterey (a vital OS security update)

Guess it's time to move on perhaps to Apple ICloud = \  Been with Dropbox since 2015.

yeeeoww
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I just wanted to confirm that Dropbox V162.3.5368 is the version that supports the changes for MacOS 12.3 and above (dropbox folder migration, support for 3 party app DB file downloads, etc.)? I've been waiting to upgrade beyond MacOS V12.2 (to Ventura) - is now the time? (V162.3.5368 is currently on my M1 MacBook Pro and working fine and I have a personal AND a business account). Thanks!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @yeeeoww, thanks for taking the time to post today.

I've actually moved your post to this relevant thread. You'll find some more info about this in the comments above.

You can also keep up to date with what is supported on macOS 12 and higher by viewing this article.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

yeeeoww
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for responding quickly, Hannah! I will interpret your response as a veiled "what ever you do don't upgrade to Ventura yet with that version of Dropbox!!!" I've seen several threads with folks saying they have a version of dropbox running that migrated the folders into the Library folder etc... but nobody has mention what specific beta version that is - thus my original question. I'll ask my question to the poster of the thread and see if I can get an answer from them.

Thanks!

keithswd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

I have Dropbox Standard v. 162.3.5408. I recently updated to Ventura.

Just a couple of weeks ago, while still running Monterey, my Dropbox folders were renamed, without any kind of warning, so what was "~/Dropbox (SWD)/' became "~/SWD Dropbox/' (SWD is the company initials). Various programs had to be adjusted to find files in the paths (applications not functioning was how I discovered the change had been made).  I was mystified as I have been expecting from this thread and info elsewhere that Dropbox would be moving to the ~/Library path, so why rename it in the same location?

Now I have updated to Ventura on my laptop. Dropbox hasn't worked properly for the best part of a year on either my desktop or laptop, and I thought maybe Dropbox would have gone straight to making a Ventura compatible release...   But no, my files remain in same location, all online files show as Zero bytes, and no application appears capable of opening online files.  It is exactly as it was in Monterey (I don't think my DB has updated since).

What a joke. Dropbox remains, as coined by another user here, NFT.  Non functioning technology.

CChesnutt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I still haven't upgraded my OS to Ventura. I was looking into the experiences of users who had recently upgraded their OS and use DropBox before making the move. I came across this lengthy but informative Twitter thread of one guy documenting what's about to happen with the Business Accounts ...
https://twitter.com/ridogi/status/1585380467339104265

yeeeoww
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks CChesnutt!

That was the most comprehensive info about the subject I've seen on here. I'm sure the MacOS changes have not been easy for Dropbox to impliment but it's the opaqueness about the subject on Dropbox's part that's most disturbing.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cbonargent Helpful | Level 7
    Martin R.19 Collaborator | Level 10
    gullevek Helpful | Level 5
    Pokapix Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?