cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent Dropbox - Mac 12.3 Monterey support

Recent Dropbox - Mac 12.3 Monterey support

Nousmedis
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The official support page relating to Mac OS Monterey 12.3 Dropbox compatibility is 2 months old now, and Apple just released (April 2022) first beta version of 12.4 and patched 12.3 with 12.3.1, but still no references to current status other than "in late march we will release a beta version...". How can I know is the beta version is now secure or how many days, weeks or months (or years!) do we still need to wait for the final stable release of a 12.3 and up supported version of Dropbox?

137 Replies 137

REK1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@sphen, thanks! It sounds like we are using it in a similar way: multiple editors on a single Indesign file in our case, for the most part. The re-linking of files doesn't concern us so much, because we have a couple of folks whose jobs it is to package files for press, and they double-check all links at that stage anyway. But what I am concerned about is what I'm hearing about having to download a file to work on it and then re-upload it. Doesn't this create a new copy of a file each time? That's what we are trying to avoid. We have staff scattered throughout the US, Europe and Asia, and the last complication we can deal with is multiple copies of a file.

BrendaW1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox v149.4.4568 and went from OS 12.2.1 to 12.4. It took several hours to update but so far not issue with smart syncing.

sphen
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

great to hear @BrendaW1 but to be specific - there isnt an issue with smart sync per-se but if access smart-sync offline files within 3rd party apps. that would be your test case:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

pwvanleijen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm seriously considering to cancel my dropbox account and go to another cloud provider. Fix the Monterey problem please!

REK1
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ironic that today Dropbox announced a price increase as if it were some sort of improvement, but no word as to whether their now more expensive product will actually work.

zaak
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

Adding more thoughts to my reply from a few days back re:

https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

The support doc refers to MacOS 12.3 which was released March 14.
Today is June 3.  MacOS 12.4 is already out.
It's almost 3 months later. Longer if you consider 12.3 Beta was out in Jan.
The problems have not been addressed nor has article been updated.

There are 2 issues mention in the document:

1.  Online-only files show size of 0K.
2. Online-only files don't open "automatically" (i.e., via 3rd-party applications... i.e., all applications).

What the article doesn't mention is:
3. Modified Dates on folders and packages are changed (destroyed) when syncing.
4. Random files will sync whenever they want to. I've noticed this dozens of times in all kinds of scenarios. I've looked long and hard for a pattern and haven't found one.
5. Sync status icons don't always refresh when they should. You need to open/close folders to get the real status.

moral of story:
Dropbox is awesome.
Smart Sync is not Smart.

whatsondigest
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

PLEASE fix this soon or I'm jumping ship.  one of my Macs upgraded to 12.4 automatically and that Mac is now sitting rotting and unused. Yes this is how valuable Dropbox is. So I'm looking at alternatives.  

Santi1970
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Is VERY disappointing to be subscriber of a premium file management solution and being still waiting for a solution to this issue.

I think that enough time has passed and many of us are considering seriously switching to other service.

I'm VERY DISAPPOINTED. There is no possible workaround to this and my daily work is radically affected.

gullevek
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

12.4 Monterey is out and I am still holding back on updating.

On my work laptop I am already on 12.3.1 and Dropbox still seems to work and still in the ~/DropBox folder.

OneDrive already forced me to move all to the new location where I am not able to delete files anymore because they are not moved to the trash but force deleted.

I am now very afraid that if Dropbox moves to the same location I will no longer be able to delete files normally but also only force delete without moving to the Trash. If this comes I can no longer use Dropbox and need to find some other solution. Perhaps iCloud allows me to use the folder like a normal folder.

But at the end this support message appeared in April 2022 and we are in June, perhaps DropBox just doesn’t want to update anyway.

MisterHook
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

We're having the same issue. Dropbox's complete silence, in terms of timing or expectations at all, is really forcing us to consider other options. We have no desire to make a switch like that, but every day that goes by with no solution and no communication is a day we lose confidence in Dropbox's ability to be a viable solution in the long term.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

cbonargent Helpful | Level 7
    Martin R.19 Collaborator | Level 10
    gullevek Helpful | Level 5
    Pokapix Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?