cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red Dropbox update dot on Mac menu

Red Dropbox update dot on Mac menu

acej
Collaborator | Level 9

Since a couple of days ago I received notification to update to the new complicated version of Dropbox to match the most recent Mac OS. I prefer not to update the app as I'm very happy the way it is working now and have more control over it than would be in the new version (from what I read). Also, not sure how it will work with my older macs across my network.  How do I get rid of the red update dot in the menu, attached to the dropbox icon (when Dropbox is open)? Thank you.

5 Replies 5

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @acej! Glad to see you back on the forum. 

Can you please clarify what are the exact OS versions of the other Mac devices that you mention?

Also, do you mind sending over a screenshot of the red update dot that you mention seeing in your app’s menu? 

Keep me posted!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

acej
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi Nancy, 

The other computers are using Mojave (10.14) & High Sierra (10.13).

Thanks for trying to help.

Jayce

Screen Shot 2022-12-17 at 11.04.31 AM.jpg

 

dantdavis
Helpful | Level 6

There seem to be a lot of unanswered questions about this "new update".

Getting rid of the "update now, dangit" red bit is important, and staying with the current version is implied to be problematic.

But, also, no external hard drives? And how about multiple users on the same machine? Do they get their own space on the "you must move to this area" now? What happens if you don't have enough space on the internal drive? No answers.

So, yes - moving to the "new update" is problematic, and I applaud you for questioning doing so!

acej
Collaborator | Level 9

Hi, I've updated my Mac OS to Monterey 12.6.3 but the red dot is still there, as well it's on my MacBook Pro running the same OS.

Any idea how to get rid of it?

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 12.56.49 PM.jpg

 

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8

when will Dropbox fix this issue? We don't want to upgrade to the inferior version, we want the existing version (it works, spotlight works, finder search works, online/offline files work, external drives work, etc.).

Stop forcing this upgrade on us

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dragononamac Collaborator | Level 8
    acej Collaborator | Level 9
    dantdavis Helpful | Level 6
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?