cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rename divice as shown on Dropbox

Rename divice as shown on Dropbox

ghysner
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I installed 3 new PCs. They have a hostname. Then I installed Dropbox. The PCs show up as PC, PC (2), PC (3). Not the device hostname. The other thread about this suggests uninstalling Dropbox, changing the name, then reinstalling Dropbox. That should not be necessary because I installed Dropbox after I had set the hostname.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ghysner wrote:

The PCs show up as PC, PC (2), PC (3). Not the device hostname. The other thread about this suggests uninstalling Dropbox, changing the name, then reinstalling Dropbox.

That other thread is no longer relevant. In the past, your computer would appear with its actual name, and if you wanted to change it you could follow the steps in that thread. That was changed some time ago to simply display the computers as PC, PC (2), etc., and they can no longer be changed.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@ghysner wrote:

The PCs show up as PC, PC (2), PC (3). Not the device hostname. The other thread about this suggests uninstalling Dropbox, changing the name, then reinstalling Dropbox.

That other thread is no longer relevant. In the past, your computer would appear with its actual name, and if you wanted to change it you could follow the steps in that thread. That was changed some time ago to simply display the computers as PC, PC (2), etc., and they can no longer be changed.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?