cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Andrew-RFLB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Smart Sync causes my quick preview function (spacebar) to not function properly on my Mac. I can't preview thumbnails, or quick preview any videos or photos. Any ideas why this happens?

147 Replies 147

annienar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I did ask via Twitter about this issue, specifically how to remove the smart sync because it was messing the preview of all my files.

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @annienar,

Has your issue been resolved by our colleagues on the twitter-verse?

If you require additional assistance, let me know!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

annienar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@minato well I had to remove it completely for everything to work again, a shame I'm really interested in the service but I value the quickpreview OSX has more =/

Minato
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

I'm sorry to hear that but it's understanable.

Unfortunately, previewing files that don't exist physically on the computer, can't be previewed,

as Smart Sync creates a shadow placehorder.

Don't hesitate to contact us for any other issues or suggestions you might have!

Minato
Moderator @ Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

annienar
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
That was not the issue, I couldn't preview files that were actually saved locally, and it also messed files outside of my dropbox folder in my computer (for example those in my desktop or my documents that weren't synced to dropbox) Of course I understand you can't preview files that' don't exist, it messed ALL my files.

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey annienar, thanks for the quick response!

You can raise a ticket by going here in order for our team to investigate with all of our tools as they are not available through this platform.

Once you send us a ticket, please include the ID and I will make sure that a colleague gets on it as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

Lauri I.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey Sanchez,

Does not seem to matter is it updated or a clean install. Most of the Macs in our team are updated to high sierra but few are clean installed. I just clean installed the High Sierra few days ago and installed the latest dropbox client but the same thing happens.

It happens every time when you browse preview images in finder Online Only folders, it shows few preview images and then stops showing and you have to force restart the finder to get it working again.

Let me know if you think of anything to try.

Lauri I.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've been writing about the same issue in another post and will also write a ticket.

My observations about the problem:

- Occurs when opening finder preview images (spacebar) in "Online only" folder. It show's previews for few files but after that it stops showing them and will not show any preview files even in local files outside dropbox

- Only fix is to Force quit Finder when this happens

- Everyone in our work team who use High Sierra has this problem (we all use smart sync)

- Did not happen before High Sierra

- Still happens after clean High Sierra install / installing latest dropbox client

Hope it will get fixed soon!

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Lauri I., welcome to Dropbox Community!

As I would like to help you further, I followed up via email in order to continue troubleshooting with all our tools available. 

Looking forward to hear from you!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Lauri I.

Thanks for getting back to me. I’d like to put you in touch with our support team for further troubleshooting. I can have an agent reach out to you at the email address associated with your forum profile, or you can write in here https://www.dropbox.com/support too. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Need more support?