cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync breaks finder preview on High Sierra?

Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Andrew-RFLB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Smart Sync causes my quick preview function (spacebar) to not function properly on my Mac. I can't preview thumbnails, or quick preview any videos or photos. Any ideas why this happens?

147 Replies 147

Laurits
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Please send the email with a guide to troubleshooting to me aswell. We have the same problem in our office.

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Laurits, welcome to Dropbox Community!

I followed up via email for you and we can continue troubleshooting there with all our tools available. 

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ewest
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just wondering if there's any update or fix to this problem? - I'm having the same issues as the OP.  I would rather not have to delete and re-install the app, as I have many 100's of MB of data that I would then, presumably, need to re-sync?

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @ewest, welcome to our community! 

I don’t have any update for you, unfortunately. We haven’t heard back from the original poster, so I have no idea how that worked out. 

I suggest that you get in touch with our support team about this. I can have an agent reach out to you at the email address associated with your forum profile, or you can submit a request here

If you want to give the reinstall a try, know that you won’t need to re-sync all your data. When you uninstall or delete our app, your local Dropbox folder is left in tact. When you install again, our app will recognize that folder, and only re-index your files! If you have moved your local Dropbox folder to a non-default location, then you can tell our app where that location is, by choosing the Advanced Options during the installation process. Again, it will just need to re-index. 

Here’s the reinstall info for MacOS: 

Make sure you save and quit ALL programs that access files in your Dropbox folder. Then: 

1. Download the latest offline installer of our app, 49.4.68. The offline version is the complete installation package. 

2. Stop Dropbox (If needed):
  • Click the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select 'Quit Dropbox'

1. Delete the Dropbox application from the Applications folder. You may need to provide your computer password in order to perform this action.

2. Reinstall the Dropbox desktop application
  • Open the Dropbox .dmg file and double click the Dropbox icon.

Let me know how this goes. 
Cheers! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Lauri I.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hey,

From the emaiI support I only got instructions how to take screenshots on mac and asked to describe the problem, which I have already done here.

Ewest: Re-installing of the dropbox client does not help so I personally do not recommend wasting time on that.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @Lauri I.

I’ve asked our agent to reach back out to you about this. They’ll be in touch as soon as possible. 

Thanks! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey Lauri I., I have reached out to you once more! :upside_down:

I understand the procedure can be frustrating,however, in order to have a better understanding on why you are experiencing this issue I will need you to provide me with all the details requested.

Thank you for your time and cooperation!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

ewest
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Sanchez.

I did as you prescribed.  However, I did not get any advanced options during install - but my non-default folder location remained intact, somehow.

That said, I still have the same problem with the finder image previews not working after a while.  

Just to re-iterate, by deleting ~library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist the preview will work for a short while.  After navigating through several files over the course of a few minutes, the preview becomes broken again.

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey ewest, thanks for taking the time to write back in!

As you mention trying all the steps provided by @SanchezI followed up via email in order to continue troubleshooting with all our tools available.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

CNowell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Has this issue actually been fixed or are Dropbox Support emailing individuals to troubleshoot?

It's a little misleading to consider this problem "solved" when the solve was support saying they'd go the email route, and not follow up with any information about what the fix was.

This is a big problem for myself and many of the art directors at the business I work at. I'm currently runnig OSX 10.13.4, and I hardly consider force quitting Finder to be a solve. Anyone know what the conflict seems to be?

Need more support?