cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Smart Sync and Quick Preview on Mac

Andrew-RFLB
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Smart Sync causes my quick preview function (spacebar) to not function properly on my Mac. I can't preview thumbnails, or quick preview any videos or photos. Any ideas why this happens?

147 Replies 147

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi CNowell, welcome to Dropbox Community!

As each case is unique, some more information and a screenshot of the discrepancy (omitting any personal information) would be very helpful in order to have a better image of what is going on.  

Looking forward to your reply!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

CNowell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Norah,

Attached below is a screenshot, although it should be noted that this isn't an isolated problem with dropbox files that are set to "local," and affects all local (not dropbox) image files on my system. It appears that this has something to do with selectively syncing files from "online only" to "local." On system restart or force quitting finder, things go back to normal and Quick Look is usable again, but only until I selectively sync again and it's wash-rinse-repeat.

After speaking with the other art directors on our business account, it sounds like this is a widespread problem. 

Needless to say, my coworkers and I are usually pouring through countless images and files on a daily basis (many, if not most using Quicklook to bypass having to fully open a file), and having this affect our workflow is a bit restricting.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Quicklook-Preview.jpg

jessee
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This site has several suggestions, from the already mentioned, Get Info, removing com.apple.finder.plist and including one involving  DropBoxQL.qlgenerator in Library.

I still haven't found one that works, since I don't see this DropBoxQL.qlgenerator in QuickLook>Library but I thought I would share any info I can find. This is now affecting the animation and UI/UX teams at my work.

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/182536/why-cant-i-see-thumbnails-in-the-finder

CNowell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey jessee,

Thanks for posting that link up on here— I stumbled across that same one earlier in the day, and I'm sure there are others that will need it at some point. I think the DropBoxQL.qlgenerator is a depricated QL file from a previous version of DB—the last mention of it I could find was from 2016 with the same issue as we're talking about now?

It's just a shame that we have to homebrew our own temporary solutions to a problem that seems to have been persisting since 2016 or so.

Hoping for a more concrete fix that addresses the actual problem, as it looks like this is the biggest annoyance for creative teams.

If this issue ends up going to email for troubleshooting, I'll post the results here for others in hopes that it helps others.

DWoo77
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I, too, have similar issues with Smart Sync disrupting my Quicklook and cannot get it to work. Is there a solution?

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey CNowell

I really appreciate it for taking the time to write back in and providing me with more information!

To help isolate this issue, I suggest quitting the Dropbox app by following the steps below:

• Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray (Windows) or menu bar (Mac/Linux)
  • Click on the gear icon in the Notifications panel and select "Quit Dropbox"

If the issue persists when Dropbox is completely closed, this suggests that the cause is related to something outside of the Dropbox app.

Thanks for your cooperation!

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Norah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi DWoo77, welcome to Dropbox Community! 

Can you clarify what exactly are you experiencing? Are you receiving any error messages? 

Some detailed information and a screenshot of the issue (omitting any personal information) will help have a better understanding and troubleshoot further. 

Looking forward to your reply! 

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox

ktcali
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I too am having the same problem. I now can't preview any of my files stored on my local drive (attached is a screenshot of items on my desktop, stored locally). Is there a fix for this? This is a huge deal breaker!!

Screen Shot 2018-05-26 at 1.27.59 PM.png

DWoo77
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I work on a Mac. When I first turn on my computer, I can view images with QuickLook and in the thumbnail, but after a short period of time QuickLook begins to fail and display an icon representing the type of file rather than the image. The image I attached in this email are local files that are on my desk top. One shows how QuickLook and the thumbnails are working properly, the other is after QuickLook malfunctions. Any other files that I preview in a different window will no longer display the thumbnail. Just an icon of the file type. Further, when I press the [Spacebar] to activate QuickLook, only the icon of the file type is displayed.

The images below are screenshots of a local PNG file on my desktop. The first was taken when I first start my computer. The second is the same PNG taken literally one minute after I previewed a Dropbox folder.

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 7.11.01 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 7.12.45 AM.png

CNowell
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hey Norah,

I've taken some extra time to try to isolate this issue and entertain the idea that it might be something else, but everything keeps pointing towards Dropbox.

After closing out of dropbox completely (and checking to make sure there are no DB background processes running in the background), it takes about a minute or two to catch up (possibly due to the cache catching up w/ processes?), but Quicklook goes back to functioning as usual.

Any ideas? It seems like this is a somewhat pervasive problem due to the other [very] similar responses in this thread. Any and all help is appreciated.

Need more support?