cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Smart sync icons missing

Smart sync icons missing

Greg T.16
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The venerable "missing smart sync icons" problem.

• MacOS Mojave 10.14.2 
  • Dropbox 64.4.141.  (Professional Acct)
  • Have reinstalled DB several times (including via full desktop download).
  • Tried the "check-uncheck finder integration"  (have uncheck, uninstalled, reinstalled, rechecked, too).
  • Have unlinked account and relinked account.
  • ForceQuit finder more times than I can remember.
  • Have ForceQuit the Dropbox Finder Integration app.. every time b/f restarting or trying fresh install.

Menu options for local vs OnlineOnly are active and work. Just can't tell looking at any file/folder in Finder whether it is local or online only.

What am I missing?

OneDrive does this, no problem.  Just about at my ropes end with DB.

121 Replies 121

dbreezer
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Graphic converter extensions also do not play nice with smart sync icons.  Dropbox smart sync icons re-appear after turning GraphicConverter extensions off.

Michael D.105
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I ran across this fix myself but still seems sot happen repeatedly after every reboot as a minimum.  

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I have wasted so many hours with this and have uninstalled every other cloud service I use (why, oh why do I even need to do this?!)...has it really come to this that Dropbox requires it be the *only* cloud service or Finder Extension with Finder icons used on my Mac?! I have de-installed them all, and still I keep losing my Smart Sync icons in the macOS Finder. So frustrated with all of these Dropbox idiosyncrasies that I just don't know anymore whether it's worth the trouble at this price.

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

(double post...deleted)

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

I just temporarily fixed it by force-quitting my SetApp and BetterZip Finder Extensions, both of which I need, both of which have nothing to do with the cloud, proving to me that Dropbox does indeed require that it be the *only* active Finder Extension on my system. How is that ok?!!

The joke is that if I don't run Dropbox, all the other Finder Extensions can coexist peacefully. What does that tell us about Dropbox's quality control?

Steciu
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

It now works for me (Big Sur, latest version of DB)

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

It now works for me too, but is it really a "solution" to uninstall every other program that has a Finder extension/integration.

Admittedly, I'm in a minority, being on macOS, but can someone with Windows tell me whether it works alongside other apps that use icons in Windows Explorer?

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Temp Fix (Mac OSx):  Force quit Finder

Not sure why it’s needed but it works

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

@lynmac Is DB the only utility you use that has FInder integration (icons or a sub-menu)? Because force-relaunching Finder is only a (temporary) fix if there are no other utilities that also use Finder integration...at least for me that is the case...am I the only one here who has to diable all others to get DB to work?

lynmac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

@tillkrueger not sure. haven’t checked.

Regardless, I agree that workarounds, temp fixes, etc don’t cut it for a paid service.  Mac users deserve a solution.

Need more support?