cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn more about Dropbox Replay? We’ve just launched a brand new group, find out how to join here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split Drobox between HDD and SSD (Windows)

Split Drobox between HDD and SSD (Windows)

ebayparohhde
Helpful | Level 5

Hi.

I am looking for a way to split my Dropbox between a HDD and an SSD.

My Dropbox is about 8tb in size and I frequently need to access many different large video files on trips or on the train, so that selective sync is not an option.
I would like to split my Dropbox into one part of small files, which i frequently need (about 500gb) and a part in which i put the big files.

The 500gb and the database should be on an SSD, while the 7.5tb of large files can stay on an HDD.

I know, that Dropbox does not allow to sync on two drives but there might be work-arounds...

Does anyone know, if it was possible to make the HDD an NTFS folder on the SSD, using FDISK?

Or are there any other ideas?

Thanks

Jan

1 Reply 1

Rich
Super User II

@ebayparohhde wrote:
I am looking for a way to split my Dropbox between a HDD and an SSD.

Just don't. Even if you were to find a way to do it, it's not worth the risk of losing data.

The 500gb and the database should be on an SSD, while the 7.5tb of large files can stay on an HDD.

I'm assuming the HDD is external? If for any reason the external becomes disconnected while Dropbox is running or if Dropbox is started before the external is connected, Dropbox could see the missing files as a mass deletion which it would then sync to the cloud.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?