cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The problem is recurring for me now. I tried reindexing the dropbox folder as you suggested @Megan and now nothing works at all. Back to where I started. 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dsnidey, I’m sorry to hear the issue persists. 

Is it alright if I log a ticket for you, so that we can investigate this further?

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Yes please!!

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @dsnidey, I just sent you an email, so we can continue from there. 🙂

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

3zero2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Hannah,

I'm also experiencing the same issue. Would appreciate to be included as an interested party in the ticket. Might be worthwhile to know that also OneDrive seems to suffer from the same issue - maybe is having them both installed is the issue in itself.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @3zero2, sorry for jumping in.

Before taking you to ticket, can you please clarify if you’ve already checked @Megan's suggestion here

Let me know, and we’ll take it from there.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

3zero2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes I did try @Megan's suggestion however that didn't work out. Looks like one needs to click and open each and every folder within the Dropbox folder; not simply Dropbox's folder.

Those folders which haven't been visited using Finder yet are shown by Spotlight as a folder with the dropbox icon and nothing happens when they are clicked.

endnoter
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue.  I use HoudahSpot and other search tools -- but they don't seem to "see" the Dropbox files now that they have been moved after the upgrade.  I think that they build on what Spotlight is able to see, and apparently Spotlight can't "see" the files in Dropbox that are saved on my hard drive. I'm a premium user, but I understand that if you have a "business" account, then you can search for words and phrases inside of Dropbox files via the Web (using the Web interface).  I don't know if that is true or not, but if so it might be a reason to upgrade to "business."  Better yet, Dropbox could make it available to all users.

endnoter
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

I have the same problem.  I use search tools, like HoudaSpot, but it is based on Spotlight -- which doesn't seem to be able to see Dropbox files now that they have been moved under Ventura.  I wouldn't mind searching online, but the online search tool doesn't allow me to search a particular directory.  It searches my entire dropbox, which produces results that are unusable since there are so many "hits."  Is there some way to do a more focused search via the Dropbox website?  If so, I have not been able to find it.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @3zero2 & @endnoter!

I just sent you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this. Respond back to me, and we'll take it from there.

Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?