cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

Spotlight Search Doesn't Link to Files in Dropbox in macOS 13 Ventura

dsnidey
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

After upgrading to macOS Ventura, I was prompted to upgrade to "Dropbox for macOS 12". I proceeded with that, it moved my Dropbox folder to ~/Library/CloudStorage and confirmed all was successful. Now when using Spotlight to search (I often type something like 'drawings folder' to open a folder called Drawings) the results in Spotlight show the Dropbox app icon beside the name of the item I want (rather than a Finder icon for folder or file). Hitting Enter or clicking on the result switches to Finder and does nothing, or sometimes will open the Applications folder and show the Dropbox app. It's not linking me to the actual file in ~/Library/CloudStorage. 

I have done the following and the problem is not solved:

• Restarted
  • Ensured all files are available for offline access
  • Rebuilt the spotlight index
  • Unlinked Dropbox from this Mac, did a complete clean install of dropbox, performed the upgrade to v159.4.5870 and synced just one folder to begin

Nothing works. Any suggestions??

398 Replies 398

glideconsultant
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

sry guys, but you are missing the point.

the trick 'do not index to find files with spotlight within the library' was mentioned as a 'solution' before (among others by me).

however, it does not solve (all of) the problem:
spotlight - after applying the trick - DOES find filenames and opens the files.

what it DOES not find is any CONTENT of those files now living within the library.

make the test:
look for a filename located in your dropbox using spotlight.
if you have excluded your dropbox from spotlight-indexing in the privacy-settings (system settings \ siri & spotlight - sry if the terms are wrong ... i am using a german system), spotlight will find the file
then identify a (preferably uncommon) word within that file and look for it.
spotlight will NOT find it

then copy that file, move it to the desktop and search again.
give your mac a couple of seconds (no, its not more) to update its spotlight index.

spotlight-search for that uncommon word and ... tata ... here it is:
the copy of the db-file will be found on the desktop, but nowhere else.

so, one more time dear dropbox-team:
pls address/solve that bug or provide us with a workaround.

because not being able to search the contents of files completely destroy my workflow und force me (and about 50 co-workers inmy various consortia) to switch platform.

aFeinberg Gallery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As reported adding the cloudstorage folder to the spotlight privacy worked to be able to open the files but cmd-r (open in finder) does not work.    Dropbox...what say you?!

minpi
Experienced | Level 11
Go to solution
To be able to open in Finder is my highest priority as well..

kohji
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Now I am seriously starting thinking of switching from Dropbox (2TB) to iCloud+ (2TB), or to Google One (2TB), or to other services...

Fotmasta
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox please fix this!  This is a deal-breaker issue.  

Dropbox version 166.4.2920

dominic k.2
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The new Dropbox (files moved to Cloud) the MacOS Spotlight search in Finder "Search by current folder" option does not yield any results - when switched back to global spotlight search it yields results as expected. Bug in new system architecture? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dominic k.2, happy February 2nd! 

Can you try out the steps my colleague provided here, and let me know if this worked out for you?

In case this made no difference, feel free to send me a couple of screenshots, demonstrating what you see on your end. 

Keep me posted! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

aFeinberg Gallery
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Please read the above messages.  We are able to get db searchable by adding it to the privacy list, however we are unable to open the files in finder...only open the files directly. 

Fotmasta
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thx. I tried both things, opening the folder and re-indexing Dropbox in Spotlight.  Still broken.

I'm open to trying other ideas.

reformedtexan
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem. I tried the fixes recommeded by Dropbox folk, but with no luck.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jacob Helpful | Level 5
    KiwiGraham New member | Level 2
    nikhil84 Helpful | Level 6
    Dannytsan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?