cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Our new Dropbox updates make your online life easier. See how you can store online-only files, edit photos in Dropbox and annotate PDFs with these updates.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sync Dropbox TO, but not FROM external SSD

Sync Dropbox TO, but not FROM external SSD

Susan C.3
Explorer | Level 3

I'd like to find instructions on how to save my entire Dropbox folder TO an SSD, which I would plug in and update periodically.  I do not want the contents of that SSD to sync from the SSD to Dropbox.  This is merely to have the option of having offline access to all of my files in the event of a severe internet disruption, hack attack, ransomware, virus, natural disaster, etc., or merely when I am traveling, say, in Antarctica and don't have stable or good internet access.  I know Dropbox Rewind can help with some things, but that is premised on the inaccurate assumption that folks will always have decent internet access, which is often unavailable in remote locations. 

3 Replies 3

Re: Sync Dropbox TO, but not FROM external SSD

JacobRusso
Helpful | Level 7

Try FreeFileSync https://freefilesync.org/ .  It's FREE and does NOT contain any Cr@pware.   You can configure and save "sessions" to Sync in various ways.   I've used this software successfully for over 10 years.  It has saved me an enormous amount of time and aggravation.

FreeFileSync Screenshot 2022-02-24 101438.png

All the best,

Jacob

Susan C.3
Explorer | Level 3

How does this work when files are not saved locally?

JacobRusso
Helpful | Level 7

If they are flagged as "Online only", this may or may not work. In theory, Dropbox would download the files locally when FreeFileSync tries to copy them.  But then you would have to re-flag them as "Online only".  You first have to get everything you want onto the SSD.  Then you can "Sync" from that point on.

I have a problem in reverse.  I have large (357GB) mirror-backup files on an SSD that I want to copy to Dropbox as "Online only".  However, I don't have enough drive space to copy it into the Dropbox folder.  And the Dropbox Online "Upload" complains that it is too large.

I've been looking for a solution, but no luck yet.

Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JacobRusso Helpful | Level 7
    Susan C.3 Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?