cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Syncing problems after updating Dropbox desktop App on Mac M1

Syncing problems after updating Dropbox desktop App on Mac M1

silverface
Helpful | Level 6

After notification to switch to the latest version I downloaded v166.4.2920 on my MacMini (M1) OS 12.6 and later on my MacBook Pro (M1 Pro) OS 12.6. Now both showing the sync icon in the menu bar and say "indexing 7 files" (sometimes more or less). But no files I put in the folder get uploaded when I look them up online in the browser. I reinstalled the app on both computers two times, restarted several times. Dropbox has full access to disk - what's wrong?

Thanks and regards, silverface

25 Replies 25

cpthorne
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Hannah,

Ive tried all of the steps on this list, and basically ended up uninstalling from every device and reinstalling to the one mac im using most...

I have now synced everything and its working great (version 170.4.5895) but the app is prompting me to update to the most up to date version for macOS... 

Screenshot 2023-03-24 at 12.15.02.png

this is what happened last time, i tried to update to macOS fully and it would not finish indexing... I was waiting for at least 3 weeks... there is obviously some issue with the most recent build of dropbox for macOS and my computer,

Could you possibly help come up with a solution because i dont have time to try updating again and then wait three weeks for it to never finish indexing... all of my files have gone out of date as it is and this whole process has been very frustrating

Thanks!

wfroehlich
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks to all dealing with this issue.

Seems that I´ve solved my problem.

I found one (!) file being corrupted in one of the subfolders. For some reason there were two versions of it

with an identical name. Even Mac OS Finder got stuck handling it. 

Here is the solution:

1) completely uninstall the dropbox app (using an uninstaller app).

2) back up your files

3) delete the files left in /Users/userxxx/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox-xxxxx

4) download and reinstall the dropbox app. Chose online only. It will reinstall your file-structure at the old location.

5) Follow the update process. It will reallocate your file-structure again under /Users/userxxx/Library/CloudStorage/Dropbox-xxxxx.

6) Indexing process should run smoothly now.

7) Switch to offline (local storage) for whatever folders / files necessary.

cpthorne
Explorer | Level 3
Interesting!

How did you find the corrupt file? It’s possible I have a similar problem but no idea how to trouble shoot

Also - which uninstaller app did you use?

I just signed out and dragged to trash before reinstalling

wfroehlich
Explorer | Level 3

When I backed up my files Mac OS Finder wouldn´t copy the corrupted file.

On one machine, where this particular file was missing, the uptdate process had been successful.

So I ended up deleting it on other machines and reinstalled - no more problem.

tbrown33
Explorer | Level 3

Not sure exactly when this started, but it's been a decent while - the desktop app on Mac is stuck on Syncing..."

Doesn't tell me what files or how much data is stuck, no time remaining, just..."syncing..."

Screengrab:

tbrown33_0-1698193833003.png

Any ideas on how to fix this? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @tbrown33, welcome to our Community!

As a first step, could you confirm the version number of the Dropbox desktop application by hovering over the icon in the menu bar?

If you could also share the syncing status, that'd be great. 

Is it possible that you have more than 300K files in your Dropbox folder, which would be the app's soft limit? 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    tbrown33 Explorer | Level 3
    wfroehlich Explorer | Level 3
    cpthorne Explorer | Level 3
What do Dropbox user levels mean?