cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: This folder already contains a Dropbox directory 2017

This folder already contains a Dropbox directory. (Dropbox 3.03 on Fedora 21 (x64)

Nathanel T.
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Is this some kind of a joke? I keep my dropbox folder on a separate partition to simply redirect the dropbox daemon to that location and not have to go through the whole download process all over again. Now, after a fresh install of Fedora 21, installing this new version of dropbox prevents me from pointing it to the previously installed location stating 'This folder already contains a Dropbox directory.'.... THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED NOW!

61 Replies 61

Zoltán N.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

I'm just a lame Windows user but the issue is the same. Previously I had no problems migrating my dropbox folder, now I installed a new disk and this piece of crap denied me from allocating my folder to the place I already copied my stuff to. I have 800+ Gbs of stuff, do you expect me to download all of it? Why does this have to create all this selective sync conflict? I just copied all the stuff from one HDD to another, how did all this files "changed"????? I can not find any differences with any duplicate finder app.

When installing I would like to see a simple question:

Do you have your crap already around or not?

Or an option before migrating to seal all folders and get the client prepared to move stuff.

Dammit guys I am paying a lot and my company is also paying a lot, don't be like G00gle.

Zoltán N.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

1. exit dropbox

2. rename rejected folder to anything (e.g. add 1 character to end)

3. start dropbox

4. move folder to new drive/location, ok to move everything

5. exit dropbox

6. delete newly created folder

7. rename original folder back to original name

8. start dropbox, wait for sync, check and delete selective sync conflicts

Mgono
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am a rather new user of Dropbox, and I just encountered the same issue, which resulted in a very negative user experience for me. 

I bought a new PC and installed the old HD containing my Dropbox folder in the new system. Upon installation I was unable to simply choose my old folder for Dropbox Desktop again - instead of that I had to move my data back and forth through my whole system. 
The complete procedure took me several hours over two evenings, instead of a simple mouseclick on my old dropbox folder during the installation.  A function to turn of sync completely is also missing, everytime I restart dropbox / my PC the software started syncing to the wrong folder again. I had to remove and reinstall the software several times, to delete files that have been downloaded to wrong folders already, and all this left me with a very bad impression and the concern that I probably even lost data during the messed up setup process. 

I normally don't make such statements, but I wont extend my subscription for this service unless this is fixed soon(TM). I update my PC system regularly, and this kind of unnecessary obstacles is a no-go for me. I mean...the software even realizes that there is an existing Dropbox folder, why can't I simply choose it during the setup? oO

Have a good day!

nicorellius123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I totally agree with Zoltan. This issue has been open for two years. I think Dropbox is doing great things, but this is a friggen no brainer. DB's sync alogorithm is obviously pretty **bleep** good, if it can do what it's doing now -- why not add this feature and make it complete? IMO, this is the single most important feature to be added. I pay a lot of money for this system, and I expect better sync capabilities. Just for the record, in the last two years, I have had to "move" my Dropbox three times. This means each time I have to wait hours for a resync... Come on, DB, get you s**t to gether!

dsans
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
This is ridiculous, a synchronization software that can't synchronize an existing folder.

Bombemedia
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

You know you can just switch the original folder's name, move the folder in the app, then switch the names again. It's sketchy, but it works.

Haruspex
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

If the folder has 10k files with a total of 700 gigabytes, also synced to 10+ computers it would generate a massive network, disk and CPU load, since dropbox would rename, move and re-rename all copies of the data.

Not applicable
Go to solution
WARNING: the accepted solution is NOT the correct solution.

This will not work in cases where synching was not working before reinstallation. Specially now since we reached a phase where the still available installer on dropbox website is too old to update itself and therefore will NOT sync.

If there is any file out of sync on local machine from previous installation it will overwrite the data on dropbox cloud storage. also if folders were renamed or moved you will end up with duplicate data.

If you are sure that all files are at sync, then simply download all files again. this takes longer but is safe.

prophet_ow
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Three years later this joke is still a joke. I've been using dropbox for years but there are so many options I shouldn't have to do this kind of jury rigging in 2017. How can you take THREE YEARS to patch something so simple?

Not applicable
Go to solution

ah think too much,... when you need to restore some accidentally deleted folders and many files the fun really begins 🙂

Need more support?