cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unresponsive Dropbox icon on surface Pro 3

Unresponsive Dropbox icon on surface Pro 3

cpk1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have installed and reinstalled Dropbox on my Surface Pro 3 and it appears to be working. However, if I single click on the icon in the taskbar nothing happens: I do not get the list of current activity or access to the menu and settings. If I double click on the icon it opens my folder view of the Dropbox directory, a view which I cannot change because I do not have access to the preferences. The same problem existed before I tried a reinstall, but the double click opened the Dropbox desktop app. The problem with that was that the desktop app window did not fit the screen properly and was very difficult to move around. Any suggestions? Is this a Surface Pro issue?
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@cpk1 wrote:
If I double click on the icon it opens my folder view of the Dropbox directory, a view which I cannot change because I do not have access to the preferences.

Try a CTRL left-click to access the legacy menu.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@cpk1 wrote:
If I double click on the icon it opens my folder view of the Dropbox directory, a view which I cannot change because I do not have access to the preferences.

Try a CTRL left-click to access the legacy menu.

cpk1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thank you, Rich. That did work. The reinstall changed some of my defaults so I had to do some rearranging, but I now have my preferences the way I want them. It appears too that the window for the desktop app now fills the screen the way it should, fixed possibly as a result of the reinstall. The issue of clicking on the icon to get the proper menu remains unresolved, but I can use the CTRL left-click solution. I'm wondering if others have had this problem with the Surface Pro. Mine is a minimalist version, and I also know of other software which will not even run on a Surface Pro.

TruthworkMedia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue on Windows 10 Home, but CTRL left-click doesn't grant me access to the legacy menu. Anybody know another way?

TruthworkMedia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Now I see the legacy menu once I've unlocked Windows 10 to full version. But now the program crashes repeatedly and takes up all space in my drives.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @TruthworkMedia, are you files in the Dropbox folder taking up space on your computer?

Are you on a paid plan currently according to this page?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TruthworkMedia
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Yes, we are in a paid plan. I uninstalled dropbox from my computer at the moment and now only working off of select files I download from the website version. Every time I tried using dropbox, all the space in my SSD would fill up despite choosing "online only" setting.

To be fair I haven't checked if the other files I wasn't using were actually downloaded, but since dropbox was the only thing I kept in that SSD, I assumed dropbox the culprit.

maryblue75
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

hello! I seem to have the same issue

just on mac ventura ios. 

i reinstalled the app again but still same. 

The icon 

upon opening the app

does not show the grey dot (as other apps show when they are open, as i have set this like that)

and the mac menu is not renamed as usual with the name of the app (dropbox) but instead just shows the name "Finder."

When clicking the dropbox icon,  you just get the finder showing the synced files. 

my issue right now is I want to change some preferences for syncing and I cant since this is accesible only via the app menu ...

its as if the app is not opening properly. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @maryblue75, sorry to see you're having trouble.

Which version of macOS is your computer running?

And have you updated Dropbox to the new version of Dropbox for macOS yet?

If you just hover over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar, what do you see?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

maryblue75
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

thank you

I just updated the latest version ios Ventura, and

I updated the dropbox version too  and I reistalled dropbox too, already 2x times more, 

and at all these occations, the dropbox icon does never show up in the menu bar.

It only appears at the dock. 

When clicking on the dock Icon, the finder opens, and shows the drobox folder with its files, but still, at the menu bar, there is only the finder.

I had dropbox before at the previous ios version so I know that this is not a normal behaviour of drobox. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    maryblue75 New member | Level 2
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?