cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade your browser to use Dropbox

jmshon
Explorer | Level 4

I tried to log in to the promotion 20GB Dropbox by Dell but I received this message once I clicked right button on the dropbox icon on my Windows 10, which is as follows:

Your current browser is not supported. We support the latest versions of the following browsers:

• Edge
  • Chrome
  • Firefox
  • Safari

I also clicked each browser and installed its latest version, but still I have failed to see the sign-in option.

39 Replies 39

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @jmshon, thanks for posting!

Would you mind sending along a screenshot of the prompt you're seeing there, excluding any personal info?

Also, can you let me know which version of your preferred browser you're using?

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jmshon
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for helps.

Please see the below that I took screenshot.

The versions of browsers are Chrome (89.0.4389.82) and Firefox (not sure but I just downloaded from that link)

image.png

Jay
Dropbox Staff
I can't read the words on the screenshot since they're too small.

Could you try updating your Windows device with any new security updates to see if this helps with the signing in process?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

jmshon
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the response.

The word in the middle of the picture provides the links of four browsers (edge, chrome, firefox and safari).

I actually updated the Windows 10 (new ones yesterday) and also re-installed the three browsers (edge, chrome and firefox) following the links. But still I receive the same error windows.

Any solution that you can suggest?

I saw my desktop (Dell XPS) has not been sold on the Dell webpage. Due to this, this promotion is not working, which is I am doubt.

Alexander K.28
Helpful | Level 5

I'm having the same problem. It started recently. I'm not a frequent user of dropbox so it is difficult to say when exactly it happened and after what. Approximately a month ago everything was fine. Since then I definitely updated Windows itself and Edge. I would guess that the error is triggered by an opposite, not because I have an old version of a browser but apparently I have a too new version.

Alexander K.28
Helpful | Level 5

I hope my reply will be reported to the development team. This is clearly a bug in the browser identification code when displaying authorization page (https://www.dropbox.com/1/oauth2/authorize). Apparently it is very recent change. I display this page with the help of UWP WebView control, which is essentially an Edge Browser. I don't know why but that control identifies itself as this "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; WebView/3.0) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/70.0.3538.102 Safari/537.36 Edge/18.19042" and it is different from the regular Edge Browser. Also, I don't know what deems to be wrong with this line but because of that "upgrade your browser to use dropbox" is displayed. The regular Edge Browser on my system sends this header "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/89.0.4389.90 Safari/537.36 Edg/89.0.774.54". If I use this header in the WebView control, the authorization page is displayed but something is not working anyway. It always gives an error "There is a problem completing this request" when I click on "Sign in" button or even when I pause typing an e-mail or password. I would guess a side effect of captcha.

Alexander K.28
Helpful | Level 5

Finally, I guess, I got everything and apparently it is not a bug in the browser identifying but frankly speaking I didn't expect Edge 18 to become unsupported. IE is understandable but not Edge 18. What I learned is that UWP WebView running Edge 18 browser even though I have Edg 89 installed on my system. I expected WebView to use the latest installed engine but it was not true. Thus, I would like to ask, to continue supporting Edge 18, without it all UWP apps using WebView for authorization with Dropbox will break. So far I don't see a way how to use Dropbox web authorization from UWP.

jmshon
Explorer | Level 4

Because my main browsers are Chrome and firefox, I tried to log in this promotion dropbox once I removed the Edge on the control panel. But it is not still working.

nashworth
Helpful | Level 5

I am experiencing the exact same issue with the Webview control in UWP, specifically in Xamarin developing in the UWP environment. Unless and until Microsoft can update the Webview control, Dropbox needs to continue supporting Edge 18 or there is no way to use the Dropbox API to authenticate a user to use Dropbox in our app any longer. There is no way, that I have found, to use the external browser in UWP to authorize a user and retrieve the token from the external browser. This is a breaking change that Dropbox has inflicted.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Stevie D New member | Level 2
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    brettstur Explorer | Level 3
    Nancy Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?