cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What happens to the files when you fix hardlinks?

What happens to the files when you fix hardlinks?

mochi10
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I am not tech savvy and need help understanding what I just did. 🙂

So I was having trouble with dropbox syncing so I did the "fix hard links" step (which didn't actually fix the problem) but now I'm wondering what this action actually did to my dropbox folder. After I clicked on it I got the message: "Dropbox has successfully repaired the hardlinks in your Dropbox and turned them into copies." Can someone help me understand what this means? Are my files changed?

Thanks in advance for any help! 

3 Replies 3

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mochi10, I'd be happy to answer that for you! 

When you follow these steps, you essentially fix the permissions of your files, inside the Dropbox folder. 

Your files haven't changed, it just helps the app "read and understand" the permissions of the files a different way, in order to resolve any syncing troubles. Now, as for your syncing problem, would you like to let me know more as to what's happening?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

mochi10
New member | Level 2

@Megan Thank you so much for your help and easy to understand explanation! 

So the trouble I'm having is with syncing an external hard drive (G-technology drive) to Dropbox for the first time. It looks like some items synced but I don't know what they are because I can't even open them and it's not what I see on the actual hard drive. And then I get an error message saying "Couldn't upload. Give Dropbox permission to access this file."

I am now realizing there may be strategies specific for external drive issues that I need to try. But if you have any advice, I would be greatly appreciative! 

Many thanks again! 🙂

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mochi10, no problem at all!

Can you send me some screenshots of the error message, and your set-up? 

As you mentioned, I do believe this has to do with the external drive's permissions and its set-up. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?