cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in learning how media industry leaders use Dropbox Replay? Register for our webinar here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't stop indexing on Mac

Won't stop indexing on Mac

msheppard
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I installed the mac dropbox update and the application began indexing my files. It has now been stuck for the last few days. I can only access some files. Many are now only available through dropbox.com and not in my app. If I add files to dropbox.com they are added to the indexing queue of the desktop app, but no progress is made regarding indexing. I've tried signing out, quitting, uninstalling, and reinstalling. I've seen similar threads, but no solutions have worked for me. Any help is much appreciated.

360 Replies 360

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks, it looks like you're running the newer version of the Dropbox desktop application.

How many files do you have in your Dropbox account and how many are in your Dropbox folder?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Tirion2K22
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@Jay exact same issue here. Upgraded to Sonoma about 24h ago, immediately after the upgrade it was indexing all files (~280.000 in my case). I let this run overnight to finish, but so far the whole day it's been stuck on indexing without showing any further info.

Running on v183.4.7058 (files in cloudstorage) with Dropbox Advanced plan (which unfortunately is getting capped..)

Gerold1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

There are 18,068 items in my dropbox folder on the Mac. Not sure where I can see the number on the Dropbox account. Is it not the same?

Any suggestions what I can do?

Gerold

control_region
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I am experiencing the same. I updated to sonoma macos14 and now dropbox is constantly syncing. Some files won't open either.

This needs a fix asap. thanks,

Drapakov_Vitaliy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Same problem.
MacOS: Sonoma 14
DropBox: v183.4.7058

Everything seems to be indexed. But it's hanging on Synchronization.

The folder is located in the standard location: CloudStorage
Full Disk Access = enabled

All files that are in the "on-line only" are not opened.
If I edit files on my laptop, nothing is updated on the server.

If I upload files through a browser to the server, they are NOT available on the computer!

I rebooted, logged out, etc. Does not work!
You must fix it urgently!!!!

korall
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I would really like to find a way to make this work on Sonoma 14. But it seems like we’re out in the cold.

kjwd
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here. When it did finally finish, it had created a new "conflicted copies" folder in my Dropbox and moved 100s of files and folders from a shared Dropbox folder into it. Took hours to fix. No one at dropbox beta tested upgrading to the new MacOS 14 release?

Drapakov_Vitaliy
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

It seems to be working, but I'm not in a hurry to rejoice.
Either the operating system indexed itself to the end or the Dropbox servers tweaked something. Leave your computer on for a couple of days so that it doesn't go into hibernation mode.
I also connected via VPN and different modes of operation, about 10 reboots of the computer. Paused DropBox, etc. Today it feels like it has come back to life. I assume that maybe the servers have been tweaked or the operating system itself has "come to life".
I'll keep watching!

cloudres
Experienced | Level 11

I have the same issue. Syncing appears to have stopped, and furthermore, the syncing phase doesn't seem to have completed after Sonoma was installed. I tried contacting official support, but they advised me to reinstall the app or log out. I replied that I don't think it's appropriate, as it seems like a silly bug clearly caused by Sonoma. With all the money I'm paying, hasn't this OS been properly tested with Dropbox?

Victor28
New member | Level 2

Same issue, "indexing" since I upgraded to Sonoma, given full disk access. signed out, signed back in, restarted, uninstalled, reinstalled to the latest version of DropBox, same issue.... Please help! 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Lionade Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?