cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wrongly backing up to two drives on one PC

Wrongly backing up to two drives on one PC

dankleinva
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

On my laptop, I use Dropbox to sync and backup my E: drive. Somehow it also started backing up everything to my C: drive, which has now overflowed. How do I stop the C: drive backup and delete files, without deleting them to the E: drive and the cloud?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @dankleinva, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of what this looks like on your end including the app's status and version as shown in your system tray

Also, when you say sync and backup your drive to Dropbox, did you manually move your Dropbox folder to the E drive (or maybe using these steps) or did you actually back it up to Dropbox using the Dropbox Backup feature?

Let us know and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi there @dankleinva, sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Can you please send us a screenshot of what this looks like on your end including the app's status and version as shown in your system tray

Also, when you say sync and backup your drive to Dropbox, did you manually move your Dropbox folder to the E drive (or maybe using these steps) or did you actually back it up to Dropbox using the Dropbox Backup feature?

Let us know and we'll take it from there. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dankleinva
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is on a Windows 11 HP Laptop, purchased just a couple of months ago.

So I had a DropBox file on my C: drive that seemed to be the one syncing to the cloud, which I did not want. The original DropBox file was on my E: drive, which is where it had been syncing until recently but no longer.

Under the System Tray --> Preferences --> Sync, I tried to reset the DropBox location to the E: drive, but it told me there was already a DropBox folder there (the one that no longer synced). So I moved everything on the E: drive to an external drive, and then deleted the E: drive DropBox folder to free up the name and space.

Then, I went back to the System Tray --> Preferences --> Sync and reset the DropBox location to the E: drive. This started off just fine, but bombed out and stopped  maybe 1/4 of the way through. Now, it still sees the old C: drive DropBox file as the one it should sync to, and efforts to restart the folder move brings up the error message that there is already a DropBox directory on that E: drive.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 073813.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @dankleinva, interesting. Thanks for the info! 

At the moment, is there any Dropbox folder on your E: drive? Could you try to sign out of the app, sign in, then repeat the steps to move your Dropbox folder all over again? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

dankleinva
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestion, Megan. This worked, sorta. I'd tried a few times to reset the Dropbox folder to my E: drive, but it kept getting confused. And erasing the C: drive dropbox folder started to erase all my files!

So what I ended up doing is this: First, I signed the laptop out of Dropbox, then move the files to a safe backup external drive, then erased dropbox from both my C; and E; drives. I then set up Dropbox anew, and set the E: drive as the home. It seems to work now. *exhales*

I appreciate the help from this forum. At the same time, I must express disappointment that Dropbox made it so easy for this problem to occur, and so difficult to remedy it. For what is otherwise a fine program, this seems sadly weak.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dankleinva Explorer | Level 4
    Megan Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?