cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: cannot install on Linux Fedora 37

I cannot install the desktop app on Linux Fedora 37

sudoluke
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Gnome 43 has removed

libnautilus-extension.so.1

making it impossible to install Dropbox on Fedora 37. Please update the rpm installer to make use of the changes in gnome 43.

For reference: https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/official-dropbox-package-doesnt-install-in-fedora-37/27296

Here is a link to an open pull request to make the necessary changes: https://github.com/dropbox/nautilus-dropbox/pull/105

70 Replies 70

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all, thanks for your reports so far on this.

For anyone affected who'd like to have a look internally, please let us know here and we'll reach out via email to investigate further. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@Walter wrote:

For anyone affected who'd like to have a look internally, please let us know here and we'll reach out via email to investigate further. 

Hi @Walter,

If someone from your developers in spite available push request want to take a look more close, a good start point is running up to date nautilus and try the Dropbox plugins there. 🙂 Is it working?! Rhetoric, of course. If someone of your developers still don't know what this means... 🤦

Ask you developers instead of users!

pnyheim
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Just installed Fedora 37 as well and got this issue.

Would like to get feedback on any estimated ETA. Should be easy enough to fix given the provided fix in the github repo.

rg03
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

As a fellow developer, it's my understanding the GitHub PR is not a final solution. Likely Dropbox wants to be able to build those sources both for old and new versions of Gnome/Nautilus (depending on the distribution you're running), so there would be some #idfefs involved and changes to the configuration script. Still, it's a very good first step and you can't ask much more from the community. My 2 cents.

sichtmonitor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi Walter and Dropbox,

Same issue here. Obviously not user specific but os specific. Tried Fedora 36 and it works fine.

Would be amazing to have a fix in the nearby future... Kinda broke my workflows...

Best, sichtmonitor

coreyberla
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm the author of the PR.  Dropbox distributes a compiled packages, so an #if wouldn't help.  

nautilus-dropbox hasn't had any activity from Dropbox devs in years, I'm not sure if Dropbox is still interested in maintaining this.  In the meantime, so distros have already included the patch.

prajwel
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for your work. The dropbox support for Linux is abysmal.

adamsb6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

It's great to see the engagement from Dropbox on the forums, but the problem is well-described, there's nothing to be gained from reaching out individually.

We just need an engineer to be tasked with merging or adapting https://github.com/dropbox/nautilus-dropbox/pull/105.

dpawson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

A happy Dropbox paid user for a number of years... until Fedora 37, 64 bit.

#fail?

Please let users know when we can expect a working system, or when we can expect

a refund.

Richard H.44
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I understand why Dropbox effectively dropped support for GNOME 43: Fedora users are a small portion of Dropbox's customer base.

However, I need clarification on why Dropbox will not offer a pro-rated refund. I spent the past hour chatting with Apple and Dropbox customer support agents, each pointing his finger at the other. I bought an annual Dropbox subscription on my iPhone. I am past the 90-day window when Apple grants a refund, and Dropbox refuses a refund because I paid via my iPhone. The Dropbox customer support agent was as helpful as he could be but lacked the tools to grant a refund. If the number of GNOME 43 users is too small to support, then offering pro-rated refunds on annual subscriptions should be easy.

Need more support?