cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: dropbox system extension not showing up

dropbox system extension not showing up

Michael S.100
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi there,

I just installed dropbox on a brand new MacBook. I'd like to activate SmartSync. The setupwizard ist opening my system-preferences/security/ and wants me to accept the system extension.

BUT: There is no system extension which I can accept. It's simply not showing up in my preferences 😞

Any Ideas what I can to to install the extension?

Thanks

Michael 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Michael S.100
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your suggestions. It seems that the dropbox-version provided by homebrew/cask is some kind of developement build with a broken kernel extensions...

So I solved the problem with complete removing my dropbox installation and re-install it using the "official" client downloaded via dropbox.com

😕

Michael

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi,

If you click Privacy on the far right > select Accessibility > tick Dropbox.

Hope this helps you.

Michael S.100
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi Ross, 

the accessibility-options does not affect the missing system extension... I have activated the accessibility option...

Thanks

Michael

Anastasios
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

If you are a Dropbox professional user and have  Mac OSX 10.9 and above then you can use smart sync by doing the following 

Smart Sync requires enabling a driver, known as a kernel extension on Mac, in order to integrate with your operating system’s filesystem.

1. Open the Dropbox folder on your computer.
    1. Click the Dropbox icon from the menu bar.
    2. Click the folder icon.
    3. Choose Open folder.
  2. Locate the content that you want to make online-only.
  3. Control-click or right-click the file or folder.
  4. Choose Smart sync.
  5. Choose Online-only.

Michael S.100
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hmm, maybe I did not express my problem understandable.

I know how smartsync works, but when I try to activate smartsync, I am prompted to activate the kernel-extension in the macos system settings. But I cannot activate the kernel-extension, because it's not shown in the settings as it should be according the dropbox-guide...

Anastasios
Collaborator | Level 9
Go to solution

I apologise I did not understand you , its not your fault 

Have you tried the following ?

Maybe you unintentionally blocked the kernel extension installation process ?

If that is the case you can easily allow Dropbox access:

1. Click the dropbox icon in the system tray or menu bar.
  2. Click the gear icon.
  3. Click Preferences.
  4. Click Enable Smart Sync.
  5. If needed, click the lock icon and sign in to your computer.
  6. Click Privacy.
  7. Under Allow the apps below to control your computer, check the box beside the Dropbox icon.

Michael S.100
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for your suggestions. It seems that the dropbox-version provided by homebrew/cask is some kind of developement build with a broken kernel extensions...

So I solved the problem with complete removing my dropbox installation and re-install it using the "official" client downloaded via dropbox.com

😕

Michael

jcourtneycozero
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

The problem is that whether or not you follow below we never see anything in Security & Privacy » General screen of System Preferences and Dropbox continues to tell us we need to turn it on.

What does this have to do with homebrew?!

jcourtneycozero
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

We are having the same issue.

This is an unresolved defect.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@jcourtneycozero wrote:

What does this have to do with homebrew?!

The version of Dropbox that @Michael S.100 was using came from Homebrew-Cask, and was not an official Dropbox installer. When Michael used the officiall installer, downloaded from the Dropbox website, the problem was solved. This means that the issue he had likely isn't with Dropbox, but with the unofficial version/installer that he originally used.

Need more support?