cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iMac - Stop Using DropBox Backup and restore to my MacBook Pro

iMac - Stop Using Dropbox

Biggles07
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi All, I'm at my wits end trying to get my files back off DropBox and onto my computer. Clearly I've accidentally allowed DB to 'sync' my stuff. Now, despite it not being true, DP says my account is full and I must pay to continue. I don't need a paid service and want to get back to a pre-DB status. I've read 10's of posts about this and still cannot find a route that doesn't leave me wondering if I'm about to lose everything with one click of the mouse. The problem shows itself as follows:

The DropBox file structure in Finder lists my whole computer as the top of the tree, with Documents, Downloads and Desktop sitting below. Each of these folders has a combination of green and blue circular icons (I assume these mean DB has the files?). I just want all my files back on the computer and all trace of the service removed. I have already got rid of the few shared folders I had (BTW: this did not reduce my storage despite the indication that it would). Please can anyone help with non-jargon instructions for an iMac running Catalina? I do have the App - but I cannot close it or bin it ('cos its always open). Also can't seem to be able use it to get into any settings. Very grateful for any help with this - too many hours trying....... Simon

18 Replies 18

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Lynn

I forgot to let you know a few facts on how Dropbox and Dropbox Client works.  When you open any folder or a file that are in your Dropbox folder, its an literal folder on your Mac.  All Dropbox Client does is watches for changes within Dropbox folder or from Folders that has your permission to modify or backup (ex: Desktop, Documents, etc).  So when you have finder issues or have errors regarding creating folders, etc, then its is NOT Dropbox issue but its with your Mac.

Good day

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

LynnAJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hey Chris,

Yes, i just re-started.

And downloaded the DB app again for the 10th time since Sunday when all this trouble started.

The Folders I need are definitely in tact on the Dropbox web, so that's great.

Nothing seems to be lost there, I just can no longer view them or even create them again on my laptop.

Maybe Apple Support can help me if you don't know of a way to restore them to my mac from DB?

LynnAJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

yes, ok, that's understood.

I'll go to Apple Support next. thank you so much, Chris.

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

okay, i think i know whats the issue is.  If you know for sure that the files and folders are there on Dropbox servers (the web interface,  I would personally, rename the Dropbox folder thats on your machine.  I think the client is being confused about the folder thats already on your Mac..  Go to your user folder and you will find Dropbox folder  HD/(username)/Dropbox 

rename the folder, or you can drag the folder to the desktop and reinstall Dropbox.  Then it will or should download a Fresh newly created folder and download everything to the folder anew.

once everything is working and to your satisfactory, you can delete the older Dropbox foler
Hope this helps

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

if you still having issues with the reinstalled Dropbox See this article https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/stuck-syncing

LynnAJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

it sounds a bit scary just because I'm unfamiliar with some of the terminology here, Chris.

Do you mean that i can literally drag a folder from the web version of DB to my laptop/desktop here?

"find Dropbox folder  HD/(username)/Dropbox 

rename the folder, or you can drag the folder to the desktop and reinstall Dropbox."

LynnAJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

also, Chris, does DB prefer Safari to Chrome or vice-versa?

It actually seemed to work better when i tried it on Chrome earlier, but that could be a coinkydink. 😃

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

Lynn

what I meant is the actual Dropbox folder on your Mac, I am assuming that you have the Desktop Dropbox Client installed.  I was wanting to make sure you have all the folders that you were searching for by going to the web interface (Browser).  Any browser will do.

on your Mac, you have a Dropbox folder.  Dropbox CLient watches for any changes and syncs these changes to Dropbox server  (aka The Cloud) (Browser)

I was wanting to make sure there is no Dropbox folder on your Mac when you reinstall Dropbox client. (App)  When you install the app, it will create a Dropbox folder in your user folder on your Mac.  When I stated to drag folder to desktop, I was suggesting that you make a copy of the Dropbox folder or rename it, I don't want the reinstallation to 'find' a Dropbox folder.  I wanted it to create a new Dropbox folder and redownload all folders and files from Dropbox Servers

I hope this helps

LynnAJ
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

ohhhhh, thanks for clarifying that and yes, i have the app now on my mac.

and i see the dropbox folder in the mac applications folder, as well as in my menus, top and bottom on the desktop.

so now i can proceed to the next thing and meanwhile, i have a call with Apple Support to iron out the other issues.

thank you very much.

Need more support?