cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: icons / mac new version / location

icons / mac new version / location

jamesatkins
Explorer | Level 4

So I upgraded. I really didnt want you to move all my files to a new location, i've been perfectly happy with my workflow up to now. But it was what it is and dropbox is now hogging my bandwidth and it's going to take about 5+ days to sync everything again.  Thanks for that.

So what do these icons mean?
 Screenshot 2023-02-16 at 16.17.40.png

The file is in the cloud? Is it on my hard disk? Is it just in the cloud? 
The second one 'in the cloud and you can download it'?

None of it makes sense - where's the 'syncing' icon gone - before you could tell what was syncing what isn't, what's local, what's synced.

21 Replies 21

jamesatkins
Explorer | Level 4

Doesnt seem to make a lot of sense to have all these indicators on a desktop computer.
- I make something online only - i get a cloud and down arrow - fine.
- I make a new file and make it available offline through the right click - i get a green tick - sort of makes sense, except I also have 1TB of files all available offline - in dropbox - with no green tick, used to have a blue tick, so the green tick is pointless.

I make a brand new folder, put a brand new file in there - I momentarily get a plain cloud NOT a cloud with a down arrow NOT the sync in progress (clock/pie symbol). Then the file doesnt have a green tick once it's synced and yet it's a brand new file.

To mix things up even more, i have online files that are 'selective sync', so online only and NOT on the computer.

It's either
- online only no local hidden (selective sync)
- online only and accessible by download
- local and either synced or sync in progress

no icon, green icon are confused
cloud icon and sync in progress icon are also confused.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Thank you both for your feedback on this @MikeHenderson & @jamesatkins - it's been noted in our system. 

As for the issue you mentioned with files going to web only automatically, could you elaborate a tad @MikeHenderson

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?