cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

two different dropbox files

two different dropbox files

dawn1st
Explorer | Level 3

I have Dropbox Plus.  I just got a new laptop.  At some point a box popped up saying "installing dropbox.  There is already a dropbox.  Rename" was one of the options.  I tried to cancel but couldn't.  Now I have a Dropbox (148 GB)  and a Dropbox old (132GB).  They are taking up all the storage on my laptop.  When I compared them, some files had more in the old dropbox and some files had more in the new dropbox.  So I can't just delete one.  Plus my photos are visable in the new one but there is some kind of blue icon in the old and I have to click on each item to see it. I don't understand how the new has different things than the old.  Is there a way to merge so I am keeping everything but not duplicating everything?  Thank you for any help.

3 Replies 3

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @dawn1st, sorry to hear you're having issues with this. 

Was the desktop app already running on your computer when this box popped up? If so, were you logged into the same Dropbox account? 

Can you maybe send us a screenshot of the app's current status and version as shown in your menu bar/system tray at the moment? 

If you could also attach a screenshot of how your two Dropbox folders look on your computer, I'd appreciate it. 

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

dawn1st
Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for your response.  I was away and am just getting back to respond. 

I don't remember if dropbox was running when this all got created.

Someone pointed out to me that if I am paying for 2TB of cloud storage (it says I am using 11.8% of that) I should not have dropbox files stored on my  laptop.  Is that correct?    It's taking up all my laptop storage.  I'm just worried now that if I delete those files on my laptop it will delete my cloud files also. 

I can't figure out how to share my screenshot.

Dawn

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @dawn1st, if there is a Dropbox (Old) folder, then it could belong to another Dropbox account. Do you have more than one email on which you could have a Dropbox account?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    dawn1st Explorer | Level 3
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?