cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: v142.3.4187 Native M1 Silicon?

v142.3.4187 Native M1 Silicon?

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I entered the Beta program to get Dropbox into Native M1, but I see that the latest Beta version is still running under Rosetta (Intel).

Is there any outlook on full M1 silicon support without Rosetta?

The reason for asking is that I have intermittent issues on my MacBook Air M1 which I am trying to investigate with Apple Senior support. We are in the process of eliminating non-native apps.

Thx

56 Replies 56

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@Adrie ten Bookum You're on the Intel version of Dropbox. So that is what Activity Monitor is reporting under "Kind". Or am I not understanding what you are asking?

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

This is exactly the problem..

@tpayton showed the (same) version, but with "Apple" (eg M1 Silicon)..
Why does mine stick to "intel" emulation (eg via Rosetta)??

I did rebooted my MB-Air... 

Is this version capable to run in both Native and emulated modus...?

And if so, how do I get it on Native M1?

I appreciate the support. thx!!

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

You have to toggle the early releases option in your Settings on the Dropbox website:

Screen Shot 2022-02-15 at 3.04.30 PM.png

But even then you might not get the upgrade; I've seen others saying they opted for early releases and are still on Intel. My hunch is that they are cut way back on automatic upgrades because of all the problems. You can also download and install it using the link I gave you in my initial reply but, again, I wouldn't risk it if your Intel version is working well and isn't eating too much RAM or stealing too many CPU cycles.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

Oh, and no, the Intel version is strictly Rosetta. (The Intel and Apple Silicon betas have the same version number.) It appears they do have a universal version on the beta installer site I linked to. 

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thx @jlaguna 

I got this release just as you say by toggling the early adopt switch in my settings on the dropbox website

AdrietenBookum_0-1644959489160.png

Hence still on the intel coding..

It is the top 10 of CPU time usage, while I have no sync active and use Dropbox only as external secondary drive (not even my primary)

AdrietenBookum_1-1644959758910.png

This sees to me as quite some activity for hardly doing anything and sporadic usages..

And as mentioned I am really on the latest beta version which is supposed to be M1 native ...

AdrietenBookum_2-1644959900107.png

What have I done wrong with perhaps the installation??

Emma
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi all,

As of 15/2, native Apple silicon support has begun automatically rolling out, with availability to all users in the coming weeks. 

While this rollout is in progress, users can receive immediate access to native support by opting in to our early releases. For more information, you can visit this Help Center article.

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Emma, thx but the strange thing here is that I am opted in for early releases, got the latest update after that, but still my system is showing as 'Intel" (see screenshots below) instead of 'Apple' ..??

Seems a little strange to me..

AdrietenBookum_0-1645029043310.png

AdrietenBookum_1-1645029126534.png

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@Adrie ten Bookum This is typical for a "gradual rollout". It could take a week or two for you to get it, depending on where you are in the rollout queue.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@Emma I've been complaining about the missing green checkmarks and the inconsistent behavior of the "cloud" icon. Have these issues been fixed? Is the green checkmark coming back? I always found that to be a very comforting affirmation that syncing was happening as expected; it would be a shame to drop it.

Marvin McKenzie
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've opted for early release in but still can't get the download. What do I need to do?

Need more support?