cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: v142.3.4187 Native M1 Silicon?

v142.3.4187 Native M1 Silicon?

Adrie ten Bookum
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I entered the Beta program to get Dropbox into Native M1, but I see that the latest Beta version is still running under Rosetta (Intel).

Is there any outlook on full M1 silicon support without Rosetta?

The reason for asking is that I have intermittent issues on my MacBook Air M1 which I am trying to investigate with Apple Senior support. We are in the process of eliminating non-native apps.

Thx

56 Replies 56

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

@tillkrueger Wow, what a journey, I hope you are truly at then end of it! FWIW, since my own reinstallation a couple of months ago, Dropbox seems to be exhibiting the speed and reliability that we'd gotten used to and that justified the comparatively steep monthly cost. As for the iconography, a couple of Dropbox techs that I communicated with claimed that it is Apple's doing, that the mandated switch to Apple's File Provider framework (part of which was the required move to ~/Library/CloudStorage) meant loss of control over the iconography. But, as I noted in another post, that's bullsh*t — Google Drive has recently switched to the File Provider framework and they managed to preserve their iconography. (I should note, too, that Google's update to the new framework was utterly seamless, but for having to give some new permissions to the Drive app when requested. It is mystifying why Dropbox's update has been such a dog's breakfast.)

As for the loss of the context-sensitive menu options, have you tried relaunching the Finder (accessible via the Force Quit option under the Apple menu icon to the far left of the menu bar)?

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

No, I mean that I have zero control over my Dropbox folders and files in Finder now...no icons at all for what is offline and what is local, no context menu at all, and no way to sync anything.

Yes, I have force restarted the Finder after switching off all other Finder extensions in my System Preferences. Dropbox is not really running, right now. I have rebooted my computer as well, but Dropbox is dead, atm.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

Aargh, what a nightmare. What happens when you try to restart Dropbox manually? Do you get any error messages when you click on the Dropbox icon (if it even appears…)?

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Yeah, Dropbox has been about as far from "set-it-and-forget-it" as one can get.

When I manually quit and restart the Dropbox client, it changes nothing...tried a few times, including restarting the MacBook Air, but Dropbox is just a dumb folder now, like all other folders (except my other cloud storage folders, which behave as they should).

A real problem, too, as I rely heavily on it working...and now I have no way of syncing down all the project files that I have to work with...will have to copy them manually from my backup, which will take hours, again, and is just super annoying, as versioning will not work, then, which I also rely on heavily.

Thanks for continuing to do what you can to help me figure this out, but this just seems like one for Dropbox support, which could take a bit.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

That is really weird behavior. I suspect if you got a live chat with them going you'd get to a reasonably competent tech pretty quickly. Good luck!

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

The troubleshooting ticket I created was answered by one of Dropbox support staff, but nothing new:

• disabling all Finder Extensions but Dropbox, then force-quitting and restarting the client (even if that was the "solution", why should Dropbox be the only app that gets to use its Finder Extension? I don't get that.)
• Force-quitting everything containing "Dropbox" from within Activity Monitor, then relaunching Finder

Still dead in the water...hoping for better troubleshooting instructions.

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

To see whether Dropbox is at all aware that it is running and has work to do, I changed the Sync settings on one folder in Dropbox preferences, and it now started to resync all 420k files from scratch again.

I’ve just about had it with Dropbox, thinking about how many times in the past 15 years I have been forced to waste valuable hours and days of my life with issues like these…so frustrating.

jlaguna
Experienced | Level 12
Go to solution

I wish I had more suggestions but I have to say the problem you are experiencing is not one I've seen, so I don't have anything to draw on. Let me make sure I'm understanding you, Dropbox is running — you can see it in, e.g., Activity Monitor — but it is non-functional: if you make a change to a file, it is not sync'd to your Dropbox folder and thence to your other computers. Is that correct?

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Yes, that is correct.

tillkrueger
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

Since I am dead in the water, I just reinstalled the Apple Silicon Beta 149.3.4541, and now I am getting the sync icons and context menu items in Finder.

Since Dropbox deleted all of my subfolders during a recent experiment, could you tell me the steps to resync all folders and subfolders, empty (Online-Only), again?

Right now it is saying that is resyncing all 420k files again, so maybe, just maybe, the subfolders will be back, at the end of this...if it's anything like the first time I tried this, a few days ago, it will take the better part of today.

Need more support?