cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Security and Permissions

Start a discussion in the Dropbox Community forum to get help with your account security and permissions. Find support from Community members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: A user's personal account was DELETED via business plan

A user's personal account was DELETED via business plan

unique
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, now I am trying business plan trial now.

Yesterday I invited  a user to my team and he joined without creating new personal account. Then I tried to remove his account from the team just to release buisiness plan license, so I removed his account on team management console.

As a result, his account itself was completely deleted!

Q1. Do I have any way to restore his account?

Q2. I need more info about what the buisiness account is. I coulnd't notice the risk to merge personal account to buisiness account.

When a users receives invite to team, he was asked wheter create "personal account" or not. If he chose to create "personal account", was his account protected completely?

Q3. Can team admin user remove a user from team without deleting the user's account? If I can't, it seems great inconvinence...

14 Replies 14

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @wofa

Sorry to hear about the frustration caused. Is there a ticket ID I could reference, so that I look it up on our system? 

Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

ST1
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I've had the same thing happen! And I am all paid up for a plus account on my personal account. And now it wants me to create a 2 GB account for a personal account. I just want my stuff back. Have posted a ticket, no answer yet.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

ST1 wrote:

And I am all paid up for a plus account on my personal account.

Actually, you probably weren't anymore. When you join a Business account with an active Plus account, any remaining time on your Plus account is refunded back to your original payment method. You can see this refunded listed on your Payments page. This is done because after you join a Business account with your existing account, the account is no longer yours. It belongs to the business at that point. When the business decides to remove you from the team, doing so deletes the account. This is the intended behavior.

I just want my stuff back. Have posted a ticket, no answer yet.

You'll need to have the business contact Support and request that your account be restored. You can wait for a reply to your own ticket, but there are a few things working against you; 1) You're no longer a Plus or Business user, so you're basically at the back of the line. Paid accounts have priority. 2) The business will have much better support options including, possibly, live phone and chat support, and will have a much better turnaround time. 3) Whether you have the business contact Support or not, Dropbox will still need confirmation from the business that it's Ok to restore the account, since it belonged to them at the time of removal. Better to get them involved early so you're not waiting longer than necessary.

kimsherman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I am in the same boat... my account was joined to another, when we completed our business I asked him to remove me from his folder, and that deleted my account.

This answer (^) says that a user thus affected needs to contact Dropbox Support.

I contacted Dropbox on September 26, heard back from them on the 29th with information about what happened and what will need to happen for the return of my documents, another emails from me and a brief and pleasant but not useful email from Help desk on October 2nd. Several emails from me begging for information and an ETA for resolution, and nothing from them for a week.

I really need my files back, and this has not yet be resolved.

Additionally, Dropbox, this system of automatically joining personal accounts to someone's business account is clearly not a good thing.

Kim Sherman

kimsherman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Dropbox: fwiw, my ticket number is 6997003.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you have a similar or new question, you could post it in the Find Answers section here. ]
Need more support?