Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

How do I restore owner?

Level 2

I was testing Dropbox Business features. In trials of shared folders and personal folders, some got automatically duplicated. While trying to remove duplication, some original folders got deleted. Now, when the files have been restored, I see I am no longer the owner, nor is anyone else. How do I restore ownership without affecting anything else? Creating new folder is not really a viable option, right now. Please advice.

3 Replies

Re: How do I restore owner?

Dropboxer
Hey there (@Kayna), happy New Year! 

Please bear in mind that if you haven’t transferred the shared folder’s ownership yourself, then you have- in all likelihood- temporarily removed your access. If so, there's no need to worry, as you can add it back at any time from the Deleted Files 🚮 page &/or your Sharing 👥 tab on your account online.

Hopefully this answers your question, though I remain at your entire disposal should you have any follow-up inquiries or I've misunderstood your request in any way. Take care until we talk again & enjoy the first Friday of 2019! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your response. I have restored it back to my dropbox and have access to it as well. However, when it got restored, it changed rights to "can edit" instead of "owner". Now the folder has no owner and none of us have a way to manage it. Please advise.

Wishing you a very happy new year too and a wonderful first weekend.

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for explaining matters in such detail for me @Kayna!

I’d like to dig a bit deeper & have a closer look on your current file structure through our Official Support channel. In order to look into the matter having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How do I restore owner?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post