Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Maintaining Folder Structure with Subfolder Permissions

Level 5

Hello,

Alongside other files, my company has a few dozen transactions.  These transactions are currently stored in a folder called Transactions that everybody has access to and are further divided into three subfolders:  Active, Prospective, and Finished.  So for example, if I have an actively running transaction named Foobar, it would be stored in Transactions\Active\Foobar\...

What I'm hoping to do is manage the permissions on the individual transaction folders so that only employees who are actively involved in each deal can access those folders.  However, when I try to do that with a shared folder, they just appear for the users under the Sharing tab and don't maintain the original folder structure which then becomes unwieldy.  I've tried adding users to the base Transaction folder and then just removing them from the individual transaction folders, but that doesn't work since subfolders inherit their parent permissions.

So my question is:  Is it possible to manage permissions at the subfolder level while still maintaining the parent folder structure for the users?  I suspect that the solution would be an explicit deny function which I've seen suggested on here before, though I don't believe it's been implemented yet.  If that's the case, is it being worked on?  In any case, I thought it would be worth checking if there were any other options.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies

Re: Maintaining Folder Structure with Subfolder Permissions

Dropboxer
Hey there, @man112!

Indeed, when you share a parent folder, users have access to its contents, including subfolders. If you share a subfolder, users only have access to those contents and cannot go up the hierarchy to navigate through the parent folder. 

If access is required throughout all three subfolders, then you can share the parent folder (as I understand you have done so already). If you’d like for specific users to gain access to individual folders, I’m afraid sharing them individually is the way to go, as you very correctly mentioned:

@man112 wrote:

since subfolders inherit their parent permissions. 

If you do add them to each individual subfolder, you can change the permissions of each user by navigating to the Share tab that appears on the right-hand side of each folder, locating the relevant user, and changing their role to Can edit /Can view or even Remove (for example, to add to another subfolder). 

I understand that this isn’t the solution you were looking for, but I’d be happy to pass your ideas on to the dev team for future consideration. I hope I helped to some extent! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 5

Hi @Lusil,

Thanks for letting me know.  Yes, if you could please pass on the "explicit deny" idea to development, I'd appreciate it.  It would really help us keep everything organized and accessible.

Level 2

The question was clear and you marked it as solved although in reality it wasn't really. We're looking to move away from dropbox in our business for this reason alone. Not being able to keep a standard shared folder structure causes massive issues when a team starts growing. This is not convincing.

Level 2

Bit of an old thread I know...but was back searching the site again hoping there had been some progress. The lack of an explicit deny is probably the most frustrating thing about the dropbox platform for us. We frequently have to share asset folders with outside parties, and there are frequently a subfolder or two that for some reason or another we don't want the outside party to have access to. Explaining that they shouldn't use the stuff in XYZ folder is risky, individually sharing tons of subfolder rather than the root folder to avoid them accessing a couple of items is prohibitevely tedious, moving the assets is not an option as they are needed right where they are at for the internal team. Duplicating the tree and removing the unsharable items is a stopgap that works in the very short term but become impossible to keep track of if you actually try to maintain both trees with updated assets. I know people have been asking for this feature for years, and it has been passed along to the dev team multiple times...is it something that has just been deemed to difficult to implement?

Dropboxer
Hi there @jojacob, thanks for nudging us on the Community and on this thread!

In general, currently, it’s not possible to remove access from people who are members of higher-level folders. What I would recommend though is that if you want to share only specific subfolders with them, instead of removing their access, you can just directly add users to them. 

However, if you are part of the new team space (which you can recognize if you see a purple folder icon with one person on it on the website), you can remove user’s access by:
  1. Navigate to the sub-folder you want to remove a user from. 
  2. Click the Share button. 
  3. Go to Can edit or Can view that appears next to their name. 
  4. Select Remove. 
Hope this helps to some extent!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Maintaining Folder Structure with Subfolder Permissions
5 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post