cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Remove file extensions from file name

Remove file extensions from file name

karenw72
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi

For some reason my drop name includes the file type in the name of the document in dropbox ie:-

I save a document called "karen" and it now has to be saved as "karen.msg" or "karen.pdf" dependent on what type of file it is.  I used to be able to just call the file karen.  How can I term the .extension bit off please.

Thank you

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @karenw72!

Currently, excluding file extensions in the Dropbox website is not available as it would result in your file unable to be previewed. I’d be more than happy though to pass your comments along to the dev team for review. 

If you’re having this issue on the Dropbox desktop app, you should be able to find some answers online on ways you can hide file extensions on your OS. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks! :sunglasses:

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kazzw72 wrote:

I didn't have file extensions on file names before yesterday?

Just for clarification, are you referring to when you view files on the Dropbox website, or within the folders on your computer? If this is within the folders on your computer, then that's a function of your operating system, as @Lusil mentioned. There's a setting within your operating system that controls this. On a Mac, it's in Finder Preferences. On Windows, it's in File Explorer Options. Dropbox doesn't control this at all.

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there @karenw72!

Currently, excluding file extensions in the Dropbox website is not available as it would result in your file unable to be previewed. I’d be more than happy though to pass your comments along to the dev team for review. 

If you’re having this issue on the Dropbox desktop app, you should be able to find some answers online on ways you can hide file extensions on your OS. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks! :sunglasses:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

kazzw72
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So has there been an update?  I didn't have file extensions on file names before yesterday?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

This change could have been affected by a number of factors, including even an update of your OS, but it shouldn’t be related to the Dropbox desktop app as updates shouldn’t change your system’s settings. Since hiding your file extensions is manageable from your system’s settings, I’d recommend following that route. 

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to get back to me. Cheers! :innocent:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kazzw72 wrote:

I didn't have file extensions on file names before yesterday?

Just for clarification, are you referring to when you view files on the Dropbox website, or within the folders on your computer? If this is within the folders on your computer, then that's a function of your operating system, as @Lusil mentioned. There's a setting within your operating system that controls this. On a Mac, it's in Finder Preferences. On Windows, it's in File Explorer Options. Dropbox doesn't control this at all.

kazzw72
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Yes when I view them in the dropbox. I would attach a photo but I'm really not sure how.

Sorry to be so dim but where do I find the File Explore Options bit.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@kazzw72 wrote:
... where do I find the File Explore Options bit.

This page explains how to show file extensions on Windows. Just check the box instead of unchecking it.

kazzw72
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you so much for all your help.  All sorted.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @kazzw72, thanks for keeping us in the loop, glad to hear that! 

If you have any other questions in the future, don hesitate to get back to us. In the mean time, have a wonderful day and weekend ahead! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

martine_nbcc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I don't know if this is possible, but I have just had a request from someone on my team regarding file extension while working with and renaming files on Dropbox.com (not in the desktop version). I would like to formally request that this is sent to the development team, that each user can have the option of hiding the file extension while working on the cloud.

Need more support?