Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Ubuntu Server and Dropbox Business

Level 7

I am not really asking a question because the issue did resolve but I wanted to put this info out there for other people running Ubuntu or Ubuntu Server.  1st off I install Ubuntu Server 18.04 then installed and configured Dropbox (we just had the Personal Plus plan).  Yesterday I upgraded to the Dropbox Business Plan.  As soon as I did that all syncing stoped.  There was no errors on the console and Dropbox was running.  Then I stopped the service and restared.  Still no error but the out put looks a litttle odd or unfinished so I stopped it again and then started.  It looked normal then and I tested sync, still no syncing.  Of coure I did some reasearch... panic... called Dropbox,  after two hours I checked to see it is was syncing... it was working!  

This is what I could see

The upgrad changed my [ /home/user1/Dropbox ]to [ /home/user1/'Company_Name' ]  and it also created to Symlink folders one was called Dropbox and the other was 'Company_Name Dropbox'

My take away here is Stop and Start the service until the output looks right.  Then give it some time to make it's changes (walk away and don't panic... LOL) 

I hope this is useful for someone.  Penguin

5 Replies

Re: Ubuntu Server and Dropbox Business

Dropboxer

Thanks for letting us know about this @Midgley - hopefully this will clear things up for any affected users like you in the future!

Just adding my two cents on this one as it looks like what you're seeing is a hidden file called symlink that was created when the Dropbox folder was renamed to your current "Dropbox (team name)". Your information is not duplicated.

Spoiler

A symlink is a file that directs to another file on your computer.

If your computer is set to show hidden files and folders, this symlink may look like a secondary Dropbox folder on your computer. However, it isn't. Instead, this hidden folder points to the new Dropbox folder from the old location path. To avoid seeing hidden files, you could change your device settings.

I hope this information helps to some extent and thanks again for sharing all these!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 7

Thanks Walter.  I do know they are symlinks.  I am working with Ubuntu Server (no gui).  I wish I had know that the symlinks would be made since my configuration file revolved around the fact that the the folder name 'Dropbox' I did not know it would be renamed and sync would be interupted. Yesterday was terrifying for me and I tried to ask Dropbox customer service if anything would change... Also, I see in my plersonel Ubuntu laptop I now have two folders called Dropbox and both are symlinks.  The actual folder is visiable only via command line.  Odd.  I am glad it works but it seems to me somethings could be a littls smoother.   

Highlighted

Level 7

oh hay... as I look at the home file in my ubuntu laptop I can see all three Dropbox folders and they don't have the same info in them. I suppose I can't delete the the symlink folders.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the updates on this one @Midgley; read on for more context on these folders.

• If your main Dropbox folder has been renamed, it may be best to leave the hidden symlink folder alone: some programs on your computer may depend on the original Dropbox folder path name ("Dropbox") to function
  • The symlink folder does not use extra disk space on your computer or on Dropbox
  • Deleting files in the symlink Dropbox folder will also delete the original file, however, deleting the hidden symlink folder itself won't delete the main, renamed Dropbox folder.

Let me know if you have any further queries!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 7

Thanks Walter,  Yes I figured the symlink files a neccessary for Dropbox to work. I don't mine them visible in the comand line.  Some people may not like seeing them in there home file if they are using a gui. I wonder it that is happening in Mac's?  Anyway for me, so good so far.  relieved face

Business Admins Support

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Ubuntu Server and Dropbox Business
5 Replies
7 Likes
Solved! : See solution